Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helper spring set-up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helper spring set-up...

To pre-load or NOT to pre-load? I'm hearing both- trying to run 100lb helpers w/225lb Hypercoils on Turbo S- should bring both front & rear to about even, but, the rear is VERY squirrley- not sure if it REALLY feels stiffer, as I'm scared to drive it hard enough on the street to find out- it really feels bad- this w/new Ledas.... Anyway, it's sketchy nonetheless & as of now, the helpers have 1" of pre-load on them- just wondering what other's here w/helpers have done...

Thanks.
Robby
Old 01-28-2004, 09:20 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my .02 from personal experience with helpers. Pre-load is the way to go. Other wise they are going to clang around and make noise on the side that gets unloaded while cornering (especially if you hit a bump or imperfection in the road during that instance.)

Are you certain that they are loaded a full inch? Did you re-index your torsion bars? Without re-indexing them I wouldn't think that you could get that much pre-load. Even with my eccentric adjusted as low as it would go, I barely had any preload on mine before re-indexing.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

This is precisely why I don't recommend helper setups. If you have to go through t-bar torture anyway, why bother with the coilover? Just get bigger t-bars. Or, heck... get REALLY smart, can the t-bars, and go full coilover.

People who've never indexed never listen to me... until AFTER they try it.

Wisdom from the Shock Shop!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

No- the whole reason I went w/helpers was to avoid re-indexing- Skip had told me a long time ago that I might be able to get away w/up to 200lb w/out reindexing- I'm using 100's, so I had a lot of room- I was able to go ~1" w/the eccentric bolts alone- a lot more than I expected...

I think I'm going to try it w/out pre-load- that's what Karl told me to do in the first place & that's would have been what was done had my mechanic not done it his own way- KArl had said to tighten them on a little until they didn't rattle, so I hope that's enough to keep them from rattling when on the car... I'm sure he's done a few of these & knows what he's doing- would have had him do it had he not hurt his shoulder a week before...

John- what is that a pic of specifically? It looks like a very unique full coil-over set-up(?)...
Old 01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC, the statement I made was that you can get the lowering and the helper spring setup right without indexing (with such a low rate), but that preloading them was certainly the best way to go about it. Not sure what you are trying to describe, but with only 100# helper springs in the back I wouldn't expect you will feel much of a difference.

You should talk to Karl about proper adjustment of the Ledas - this may be your problem.

John is trying to trick you with that pic - here's a hint; it's not a 944
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip-

The Ledas are non-adjustable- the car is just sketchy feeling overall & leans toward oversteer- w/225lb Hypercoils & 100lb helpers, I find this odd- I'm thinking that pre-loading is the prob, but, maybe not- that's why I was hoping there would be more input here...

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small point here guys, but it sounds like you have tender springs, not helper springs. This gets confusing sometimes.

Helper springs keep the main spring seated and are fully coilbound with the car at rest.

Tender springs are part of a compound spring set-up. A 100# spring would certainly be a tender spring.

http://e30m3performance.com/tech_art...-tech/springs/

Quick Reply: Helper spring set-up...