Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Advice Needed - going to see one forsale

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I think you meant if they were AIR cooled.

base 944 is kind of a dog when it comes to power, but that's not the fun of driving them. it was the simplistic experience of being in touch with a lightweight sports car.
I had three separate 944s and loved them all. coming back around to a 924.

the silver one in this thread looks quite nice from the pics. good luck with it!

Yes, air cooled. I love my 86 951. The lure of "just some simple mods" to make it a lot more responsive is strong. And there is truth to it. But as others have said, getting there, and to some degree maintenance, can be frustrating. But it does reward the driver.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Finally got a pic of the build sticker. Anybody have a quick way to decode it???

Last edited by Big Swole; 06-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Also wondering what a reasonable but "Good for me" offer to make on this car??

Asking is $8k

He said "reasonable offers" will be considered. But I'd like to be in it for enough to have possible issues fixed but not go over what I could sell it for (At least in the beginning).
Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I found a decoder on Google. Does this look correct??
Doesn't look very well optioned, or is this normal?

CO2 - Catalytic Converter
158 - Radio Blaupunkt "Monterey" 1986, Radio Blaupunkt "Reno" 1987
401 - Light metal wheels
418 - Body side molding
425 - Rear window wiper
431 - Leather steering wheel, 363mm (Not available with airbags)
533 - Alarm system
650 - Sunroof
990 - Seats all cloth

Last edited by Big Swole; 11-16-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Also wondering what a reasonable but "Good for me" offer to make on this car??

Asking is $8k

He said "reasonable offers" will be considered. But I'd like to be in it for enough to have possible issues fixed but not go over what I could sell it for (At least in the beginning).
Clark's garage has an option decoder. Looks as though what you found is likely to be accurate. Fairly basic.

What does the car need? You can use that to work the price down a little. The mileage might work against that asking price. What about the front LCA ball joints? Inspected? Rebuilt/ replaced? (never mind - this car will have the steel LCAs)
The A/C issue might be a chip. You're probably going to replace all fluids - unless documentation shows recent work. The clutch is a big deal - especially if it's the original.

Hard for us to tell without being there with you, getting a good look and quizzing the seller. Be sure to get a good test drive. Then come back like Mike Brewer...
Old 11-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Clark's garage has an option decoder. Looks as though what you found is likely to be accurate. Fairly basic.

What does the car need? You can use that to work the price down a little. The mileage might work against that asking price. What about the front LCA ball joints? Inspected? Rebuilt/ replaced? (never mind - this car will have the steel LCAs)
The A/C issue might be a chip. You're probably going to replace all fluids - unless documentation shows recent work. The clutch is a big deal - especially if it's the original.

Hard for us to tell without being there with you, getting a good look and quizzing the seller. Be sure to get a good test drive. Then come back like Mike Brewer...

Yeah, I guess I just need to go see and drive it now. Then report back.

Seems like there are options it has that's not listed on the sticker. I asked if it had electric window (because there's an option code for it, but didn't see the number) and he says it does.

I'll just have to take some of my own pics / vids and get as much history as I can and post here. Before making offer.

I'd love to get it for around $6K but I doubt he'll go for that, given the seemingly good condition.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I guess I just need to go see and drive it now. Then report back.

Seems like there are options it has that's not listed on the sticker. I asked if it had electric window (because there's an option code for it, but didn't see the number) and he says it does.

I'll just have to take some of my own pics / vids and get as much history as I can and post here. Before making offer.

I'd love to get it for around $6K but I doubt he'll go for that, given the seemingly good condition.
Yes - you need to drive it. Not just around the block. At this price - you need to check everything. The rear hatch, the sunroof, mirrors, windows, lights, wipers - everything that gets current; and anything that has a keyhole. I can't be trusted for sure, on this, but I think electric windows were standard.

I think the battery tray was mentioned. Other than that, unless there is collision evidence, these cars are quite robust.

I was tempted to put dollar figures in the previous post. Thought better of it. Every car is different and so are the markets. What can work for you is how much (or little) documentation, of work performed, the seller has to present. Good documentation means the car is well cared for. Less means you can leverage on the price.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was offered 12K for my 84 (45K miles). It wasn't for sale and I turned it down.

Price and value depends on how much you want it and how badly the seller wants to let it go.

113K is alot of miles. If the clutch is original there is that in your future. Possible conrod bearings also depending on its driving and lubrication history. $8K is probably the upper end of the fair range and the seller probably knows it.
LY7 (Zermatt silver) is a great color. If its factory paint with no blemishes that is really good. A bitch to match if you ever need a spot repair though.
The Fuch wheels are worth upwards of $2K, $1500 all day long.

If the odometer and sunroof work then that was a well maintained car. His price is not unreasonable but he hinted he will take less.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

OK - I went back and did a little homework. Gerald was 'told' the belt was changed. Be sure to press this point. Date and mileage are important on this.

Love those seats. They look really clean.

Typical maintenance to verify:
Timing belt, balance shaft belt, rollers, (water pump every other belt replacement)
Clutch - you can get a million miles on ones without the rubber center section - well at least 250,000. Be sure to get a good feel on this. Keep in mind also, that the clutch hydraulics can be masking a perceived clutch disc problem. Clutch slave and master usually need replacement at this age/ mileage. Clutch replacement is a big deal. If you are paying someone to do this - be prepared for a nice bill. Even DIY is not for the squeamish.
Saw it earlier - oil cooler seals. Not a huge job; but if it hasn't happened already, it will.

Things to look at/ test/ wiggle/ feel for in test drive
Look for leaks related to the power steering. Lots of leak points.
Oil on oil pan (may be engine oil - or ATF (P/S fluid))
Slop in ring/pinion ( test by sudden throttle drop after 'hard' acceleration)
Wheel bearings (see, wiggle)
All electrical components function verified
Seals (hatch, sunroof, doors)
Shock/ struts
Odometer gear (does it accumulate mileage?)

Having done my best to scare you off this one (I'm hitching my trailer right now...)
These are nice cars. I've got a few, and try to keep at least one operational.

Not sure it came up. But being that this is an 84, it is built prior to the first upgrade. Many will argue that the later cars are better. In many cases, a good argument can be made for this. There is also a strong following for the first 944, and its relative simplicity. A friend of mine has a 968. It's a great car. Yet he still misses his 84.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jderimig
I was offered 12K for my 84 (45K miles). It wasn't for sale and I turned it down.

Price and value depends on how much you want it and how badly the seller wants to let it go.

113K is alot of miles. If the clutch is original there is that in your future. Possible conrod bearings also depending on its driving and lubrication history.
Yeah. Another possible weak spot.

Have we scared you out of this yet?

Originally Posted by jderimig
$8K is probably the upper end of the fair range and the seller probably knows it.
LY7 (Zermatt silver) is a great color.
If its factory paint with no blemishes that is really good. A bitch to match if you ever need a spot repair though.
The Fuch wheels are worth upwards of $2K, $1500 all day long.

If the odometer and sunroof work then that was a well maintained car. His price is not unreasonable but he hinted he will take less.
Yes. Couldn't agree more. Hope the price can be negotiated to a satisfactory end.
The color is really nice. And the Fuchs. Don't mention the wheels, at all, when negotiating.
Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

If it still has the original radio (as per options) that's another bonus; those radios themselves command fair prices and frankly, originality is getting to be a selling feature on these cars now.

Tell him you're not sure about the black wheels but you'll take it if the price is right LOL!! Yes, FUCHS are worth big $$ and for good reason. Offer him $6500 and take it home for $7K
Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Thanks you everyone!! Very much!!

I'm not scared yet, BUT..... lol I am worried a bit about possible money needing spent to be made "good".

I really want to go see it now... I hope it doesn't get gone before I get there.

However, IF I DO PASS on it, I'll be sure to pass his number off to you guys, if anyone here likes it well enough to buy.

Thanks again,

David
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

By all description, it shouldn't need much till about 150-160k miles. Then, prepare yourself. At least you have time to save up
Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks you everyone!! Very much!!

I'm not scared yet, BUT..... lol I am worried a bit about possible money needing spent to be made "good".

David
The spending is in your future most likely but these are GREAT cars. But they are not Toyotas.....
Old 11-16-2018, 09:13 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

And... Power windows were standard equipment so there was no option code. Same with power/heated side mirrors...

Quick Reply: 944 Advice Needed - going to see one forsale