Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Advice Needed - going to see one forsale

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default 944 Advice Needed - going to see one forsale

On a whim, I've been interested in possibly picking up a 944 for a nice "run-around" car lately. Unfortunately I've not done much research yet on them for what to look for, best years, models, etc.

1984 944 (I assume just basic model and not S or Turbo model)
Seems in great condition (Interior / Exterior) in the pics.
Approx. 113K miles. Says it runs great and everything works (he mentioned the AC wasn't great but blows cold, just needs converting over to newer freon)
5 speed Manual ( He says clutch is in good shape and drives fine).
I'll know more once I see it, but....

In a short reply for you 944 pros, Is there anything you can share with me as to look for, expect, or stay away from with these??

Any / All responses are much appreciated. I may go see it tmrw. and it's a hour drive. I just wanted a quick crash course on these if you don't mind.

Thank you,

David
Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Things to ask.
When were the belts and rollers done? Not difficult, but very expensive if you don't do the work yourself. Should be done within the last 4 years or 40kmiles. There are some that say it is due earlier and some that say later.
Is the clutch a rubber centered or original clutch? The rubber centers can go and then you need to do the clutch.
Ask for all the paperwork.
Check for froth in the oil. This is a sign of oil cooler seals. Ask if the cooler has been done.

There is a very active and strong 944 community in the Atlanta area. You may want to talk to some of them, they may know the car.

They are great cars and are lots of fun, not powerful though.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Things to ask.
When were the belts and rollers done? Not difficult, but very expensive if you don't do the work yourself. Should be done within the last 4 years or 40kmiles. There are some that say it is due earlier and some that say later.
Is the clutch a rubber centered or original clutch? The rubber centers can go and then you need to do the clutch.
Ask for all the paperwork.
Check for froth in the oil. This is a sign of oil cooler seals. Ask if the cooler has been done.

There is a very active and strong 944 community in the Atlanta area. You may want to talk to some of them, they may know the car.

They are great cars and are lots of fun, not powerful though.

The car was recently in Indiana and he just moved to Alabama, so it's won't be known in ATL.

Thank you for the heads up on things to ask though. Good to know.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:32 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
On a whim, I've been interested in possibly picking up a 944 for a nice "run-around" car lately. Unfortunately I've not done much research yet on them for what to look for, best years, models, etc.

1984 944 (I assume just basic model and not S or Turbo model)
Seems in great condition (Interior / Exterior) in the pics.
Approx. 113K miles. Says it runs great and everything works (he mentioned the AC wasn't great but blows cold, just needs converting over to newer freon)
5 speed Manual ( He says clutch is in good shape and drives fine).
I'll know more once I see it, but....

In a short reply for you 944 pros, Is there anything you can share with me as to look for, expect, or stay away from with these??

Any / All responses are much appreciated. I may go see it tmrw. and it's a hour drive. I just wanted a quick crash course on these if you don't mind.

Thank you,

David
Let me save you a *lot* of trouble (potentially) : when you go to see the car, remove (or have the seller remove) the battery, and take a good look at the condition of the battery tray. If they won't do this, don't buy it. It's usually the only place they rust, but sadly it's very common for cars that are outwardly perfect to have a badly rusted floor under the battery. It's hard to repair, and not worth the hassle unless you're getting it for a song (or you've already bought it lol...but don't ask me about that )

If you do a quick search you'll see how frequently this comes up. There was one a few weeks ago that the owner discovered shortly after buying the car.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

If it’s a running car with good paint and interior but unknown history, have a reserve of $5k ready to cover first year maintenance. The jobs on a 30+ yo car like belts, rollers, water pump, foes, clutch, suspension, axles, a-arms, etc mount up quickly and there’s also a bunch of wyit jobs on these cars. That's why it’s best to buy a 944 with a good history and one that has been well maintained with everything done.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Go to the Clark's Garage website - there's a 944 buyer's guide on there.

But, basically, like any Porsche, how well has it been maintained? Are there records? Porsche parts aren't cheap, so don't get a car that needs a lot of work.

Rule of thumb is that a 944 is a $6-7k car. If you buy one for $1k, it'll need $6k of work. Buy one for $6k, it'll probably only need a grand.

BTW, the original (R12) refrigerant has leaked out because all of the seals are 34 years old. If you put in "new refrigerant" (R134a), it'll also leak out of the old seals. The proper way to fix it is to rebuild the compressor, put in a new 134a condenser and a new receiver dryer, and change the seals to the evaporator. Then it'll be great for many years to come.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by divil
Let me save you a *lot* of trouble (potentially) : when you go to see the car, remove (or have the seller remove) the battery, and take a good look at the condition of the battery tray. If they won't do this, don't buy it. It's usually the only place they rust, but sadly it's very common for cars that are outwardly perfect to have a badly rusted floor under the battery. It's hard to repair, and not worth the hassle unless you're getting it for a song (or you've already bought it lol...but don't ask me about that )

If you do a quick search you'll see how frequently this comes up. There was one a few weeks ago that the owner discovered shortly after buying the car.
Originally Posted by MAGK944
If it’s a running car with good paint and interior but unknown history, have a reserve of $5k ready to cover first year maintenance. The jobs on a 30+ yo car like belts, rollers, water pump, foes, clutch, suspension, axles, a-arms, etc mount up quickly and there’s also a bunch of wyit jobs on these cars. That's why it’s best to buy a 944 with a good history and one that has been well maintained with everything done.
Originally Posted by Van
Go to the Clark's Garage website - there's a 944 buyer's guide on there.

But, basically, like any Porsche, how well has it been maintained? Are there records? Porsche parts aren't cheap, so don't get a car that needs a lot of work.

Rule of thumb is that a 944 is a $6-7k car. If you buy one for $1k, it'll need $6k of work. Buy one for $6k, it'll probably only need a grand.

BTW, the original (R12) refrigerant has leaked out because all of the seals are 34 years old. If you put in "new refrigerant" (R134a), it'll also leak out of the old seals. The proper way to fix it is to rebuild the compressor, put in a new 134a condenser and a new receiver dryer, and change the seals to the evaporator. Then it'll be great for many years to come.

ALL excellent info folks! Thank you!

Not sure If I'll make it tmrw. to see it or if it'll have to wait until the wknd.

Thank you All!!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

BTW, Here are the only pics I have of it. No interior pics. He says it's in immaculate shape with only a very small crack in dash (but has dash cover).

He's asking $8K. I assume it's negotiable.

Edited to remove photos

Last edited by Big Swole; 06-18-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Edited

Last edited by Big Swole; 06-18-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Damn. Looks good. Fuchs a plus, obviously. If it's mechanically sound I think 8K is not crazy.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdj577
Damn. Looks good. Fuchs a plus, obviously. If it's mechanically sound I think 8K is not crazy.

Good to hear.. Thank you
Old 11-13-2018, 01:43 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice looking car. Drive the car with the window down and sunroof open and check to see if you smell gas, try lowing the passenger window too.. After your test drive chat for a few minutes then open the gas cap. You should hear a whoosh on opening. No whoosh probably means a cracked gas tank or leaky fuel neck plumbing. Cracked tanks can happen on early cars. The cracks are on top and can be repaired but require pulling the tank. Google 944 gas smell and you'll have lots of info. Some owners don't fill their tank over 1/2 to help curtail the smell so check the gas level, it may be low for a reason. If in doubt fill it up yourself. and check for gas odor. $25-35 bucks for gas could save you a problem or supply bargaining chip on price. YMMV By the way the same car was pictured in the 1984 sales brochure.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I just sent him a list of questions to answer based on all of your advice and known things to look for.

Thanks folks!! I'll try to "Vet" it a bit before driving 2 hours to see it.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

He sent me some recent pics after bringing it out of garage and taking cover off. Not the clearest pics though.

Edited

Last edited by Big Swole; 06-18-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Edited

Last edited by Big Swole; 06-18-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 944 Advice Needed - going to see one forsale