Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:28 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not have a source for samples to test fit, but the wife and I used this chart http://store.yahoo.com/saferacer/helmetsizing.html and have already recieved our helmets which fit great. I got a Bell SR-Pro and she got a G Force Hybrid. Both of us have been very happy with the fit and quality. We used them in our first Autocross of the year last weekend.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:51 AM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be interested in this if it can be put together.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 PM
jenket944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likewise, I'm interested it this is put together. I've currently got an open-faced motorcycle helmet that I use for autocrossing and was looking for a closed-faced helmet for road racing/autocrossing. Looks like this might work well.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm DEFINITELY interested. One question though - how long will this particular helmet & its rating be acceptable for Driver Ed events (assuming that it is allowed currently)?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Kurt
I'm DEFINITELY interested. One question though - how long will this particular helmet & its rating be acceptable for Driver Ed events (assuming that it is allowed currently)?
Most likely 6-7 years.

Snell issues certifications in five year increments. However, they are usually a year "late" in issuing them. Another one for 05 will probably come out in 06.

Most non-professional organizations accept the current rating plus the previous one. So, assuming the 10 rating comes out in 11, that would give you 04-10 or 7 years.

Helmets should be replaced after 5 years anyway. I didn't with my last one (used it 7 years) that I just retired and after getting the new one I realized just how worn out the old one was (materials degrade). And I didn't use it but a few times per year.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:26 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

As Geo said a SA2000 helmet should be allowed in PCA at least until 2010 and perhaps until 2015 in SCCA. Currently SA1995+ is good for PCA and SA1990+ for SCCA. Depending on the event the M rated motorcycle helmets may acceptable.

I contacted many retailers, a distributor and even G Force directly. It would have required about 200 helmets to order direct from G Force so that options out, and working in taxes and shipping buying directly from the distributor worked out more expensive than the deal I negociated with a retailer. I have no association with the retailer. Post here and I will IM the details to you. The discount is available on any G Force or Bell helmet.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Can I use my motorcycle helmet instead???
Old 03-02-2004, 12:34 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

If you have a M1990+ rated motorcycle helmet you should be able to use it for Autocross & Solo II. PCA DEs require SA1995+ rated helmets and I believe most SCCA non autocross events are going to want a SA rated helmet. Perhaps some SCCA participants can provide further details.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Vaino
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Helmet Group Buy

If you can get the group buy pricing, count me in for one.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Ive got the deal and the best pricing I could find which is within my initial estimates. If I forget to IM you, please IM me.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me how the gforce hybrid fits compared to the Bell SR Pro. My son has a medium that is very snug. I would like something a slight bit larger but uncertain if a large will be too big.
Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

K-Bit, my wife bought the g force hybrid medium and I bought the bell sr-pro large. The g force will fit on my head but is uncomfortable. The bell fits just right.

The chart at http://store.yahoo.com/saferacer/helmetsizing.html has been correct for the three helmets delivered so far.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Let me throw in my 2 cents as I have just gone thru this helmet ordeal. First of all a disclaimer this is strictly my opinion, developed from my limited experience with SCCA Solo II. I don’t think you really need the helmet for safety purposes. I fell like it’s just there an insurance thing. It looks like to me the corner workers are more in need of a helmet then the person in the car and they don’t wear them. Now that’s just my opinion, and what I’m getting at is a real nice helmet is not needed for Solo II. I’m sure someone will make a doomsday post about how a SA rated helmet saved their life in an Autox crash, from my limited perspective this will never happen. Even if it does a M2000 helmet is still constructed to high standards.

I just got the G-force Pro Force 1, 3 weeks ago, it’s SA2000 and I paid around $250 for it. I tried my hardest to find someone who would discount it but couldn’t. The guy I got it from was discounting them during Xmas and he claims that G-force stepped in and told him he could no longer discount their equipment. Trying to make it fair for all their resellers. If you have found a source that will sell it cheaper my hats off.

So why did I buy the Pro Force 1? Well I plan to do some DE’s and maybe some professional driving schools in the next few years, for that reason I wanted an SA rating. For autox, I got my GF an HJC CS-12 from tonker.com it’s a full face helmet with an M2000 Snell rating, best of all it was only $75 shipped. If I could do it over again, I would have bought myself the same helmet and saved the $175. One day when I’m ready to do a real track event I’d buy the correct helmet.

Lastly, when choosing half face vs open face, I spent a lot of time trying to make that decision too, the thing I decided was if you get the half face, you are limiting it’s use to inside a car. If you ever want to ride a motorcycle, go-kart or do a high speed track event you may wish you had the full face with closed visor. At the autox this weekend I removed my visor ( to keep it from hitting the sun visor) and had no problem with my peripheral vision. All I’m trying to point out it is, you may be limiting your options with a half face helmet. I tried on the G-Force hybrid and didn't notice that much difference. But then again it’s not even required to wear a helmet in some states on a motorcycle, so it really comes down to how much risk you want to take. I can tell you from experience the first time something hits your face at high speed you will wish you had a visor.

Last edited by Magown; 03-02-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

me and my dad MIGHT ge interested
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

me and my dad MIGHT be interested