Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom wheels for my 86 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

You would need front arms, spindles, hubs and tie rods from any 87 or later 944 and a set of rear hubs from the same years. Like I said good used parts shouldn’t be expensive as there are plenty around, though I would probably buy the tie rods new and wyit replace the control arm ball joints if they are not tight. Yes you’ll need new later turbo rotors but the calipers don’t change, so maybe consider doing all the work (suspension, offset, rotors and wheels) at once when the rotors are worn. Larts Parts or one of the other breakers on here will be able to sell you everything you need.
Thanks again. Yes, have purchased from Lart before so I’ll start there.

This thing is getting more and more expensive! Hahaha!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:09 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainmaker

You are referring to the 9x16 Fuchs right? Will rolling the fenders not address this? There seem to be several members who have no problem running much wider wheel and tire combinations up front.

Are 16x8s up front enough to prevent understeer? I’m trying to minimize understeer by putting in the widest tires that reasonably fit.
Yes, 9x16. It's the offset that makes it close, even with rolled fenders. 245 tires sit in a different place on an 8" 23mm offset Fuch wheel on the car versus a 9" 15mm offset wheel on the car. It's close ehough that it should be a concern or something to work thru. I have 928S4 front calipers on my early offset car and the 23mm offset 8x16 Fuchs I have on the front need a 7mm spacer to clear the caliper. With 225 tires its fairly close, and I have rolled fenders. So that's my concern with the 9x16's with a different offset and wider tires. I know I test-fitted my 9x16's on the front and with the 7mm spacer there was no hope. You *may* be OKi without the spacer, but I can't recall what the overlap was at this moment so I can't give you a definitive.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 486 Posts

Subscribed to this thread as I am interested in seeing the final outcome of whatever you decide

You should also give consideration to Rotiform. They are custom forged wheels that can be built in any diameter, width, and offset needed. Many customers here on the forums can attest to their durability & quality. I picked out a few models to show you below:

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 11-01-2018, 09:44 PM
bumflick
Racer

I converted my 86 951 to late offset in front. Upgraded to big reds and larger rotors at the same time.

list of items changed:
tie rods
control arms
wheel hubs
spindles
upper strut mounts
rotors
calipers

I left the rears alone, and ran spacers to have late offset wheels fit
Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Fuchs makes 9x17s, so why have them custom made? https://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/wheels/fuchsfelge-17

The ET they offer is very close to stock (though you have to factor in the extra inch in width). For what it's worth, I'm running 9x17 with 255's on my S2 in the rear without issue, though I can't speak to whether that would work in the front.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by bumflick
I converted my 86 951 to late offset in front. Upgraded to big reds and larger rotors at the same time.

list of items changed:
tie rods
control arms
wheel hubs
spindles
upper strut mounts
rotors
calipers

I left the rears alone, and ran spacers to have late offset wheels fit
Thank you. That is very helpful. Much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Fuchs makes 9x17s, so why have them custom made? https://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/wheels/fuchsfelge-17

The ET they offer is very close to stock (though you have to factor in the extra inch in width). For what it's worth, I'm running 9x17 with 255's on my S2 in the rear without issue, though I can't speak to whether that would work in the front.
I’ll look into those as well although from what I’ve seen previously, they don’t have much lip which is what I like with the older Fuchs for the early offsets. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Custom wheels for my 86 Turbo