Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car crapped out and no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:48 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

My advice is just don't get too carried away. I put a spec stage 3 ALU setup in my street turbo-s. I hated it so much I never drove the car after I put it in. Chatters, and there is hardly any reciprocating weight, thus you always have to be on your game when leaving a light. There are no lazy takeoffs. I ended up taking it out and putting it in the track car, its fine for that. I have a less aggressive setup in my streetcar and its manageable but my wife won't drive it because of the lightened clutch. IMO. Go with a mildly lighted setup and a reasonable disk. I also found out the hard way that once you overpower the holding capacity of a Kevlar disk and slip it under full power it reduces its holding capacity and it gets glazed.......I had to do a clutch job the night before a DE one time....not fun....
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah - I will probably go with a stock or turbo cup clutch and keep the flywheel stock. I drove a friend's 600hp Evo a while back, and while breaking the wheels loose in 3rd gear was cool, it was not fun at stoplights with an ultra light flywheel and grabby clutch. I also had a 4 puck clutch in one of my Corvairs a few years ago and went back to stock as I hated the judder, especially in reverse. That was an easy fix as I could change that clutch in about 3 hrs.

Quick Reply: Car crapped out and no spark