Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT Sprinter Trueno JDM

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT Sprinter Trueno JDM

Hey guys,
Last night I was out in my buddies' car, he's got a 1985 JDM Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno imported from Japan...he's Japanese and he's really big on these cars, he works on it in his garage, and both his brother and his sister have one...
Man did it kick ***! I've loved these cars ever since I knew him, he had an '86 before this one, he swapped engines with an '87 (by himself) and had the MAF chopped off and turned around in the other direction to make it work....very cool car, he imports parts from Japan all the time...
But this one is cooler for one big reason...it's right hand drive!!!
Oh man, it took some getting used to sitting on the left as a passenger, but driving on the right side...boy did we get some funny looks!
As many of you may or may not know, these cars have quite a following, partially by the cartoon Initial-D...man, I'm almost wanting one myself!
Any other "Toh-reh-noh" fans on rennlist???
Next time we go out I'm gonna bring my car and I'm gonna take pics...after all they are from the same era! I'll be sure to post pics!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:39 AM
ToxicSlick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initial D is great, but its tur-en-oh I think, the whole time watching the series I was just itching for the next guy to race him with a ruf 993 turbo r, or anything german for that matter..

Also, we got the car here, you dont have to import one, just look for an 86 toyota gts corolla, theyre around, but if you think the NA 944 is underpowered dont even bother, those cars are like 12 secconds to 60
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Ive got an 86 corolla gts (trueno, ae86) whatever you want to call it as a winter/daily driver...I fully restored it dropped in a jdm engine, lowered it and through on some deep dishes here is what it looks like
Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Theyre cool little cars super light and so easy to get sideways, with my engine I can spin the tires on dry pavement right to 3rd gear.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Sami951
Drifting

lol, I definately want a hachi-roku, if I ever get one it's going to be white/black panda and I'll have somebody paint those "fujiwara tofu shop" characters on the side
Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Wow! Very nice redline! You and I have the same taste in cars, I love those mr2's as well...ill try to post pics of my buddies when i can...
Old 01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Yup, my friend's car was originally blue but he painted it (himself, in his garage, looks great!) white and it has black bumpers...If I had one I don't think I could get away with all those jap decals, seeing as I'm white...it just wouldn't work
He also removed the cat and has a 3-inch exhaust, it so f-ing loud you can't even believe...
Old 01-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

maybe its just me but Levins always looked better to me?? To bad i have only seen one as i do live in the US...
Old 01-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Always liked the car, was fun to set them up to drift in GT3 =P. Maybe a project for me once i get the money. Redlyne, about how much did the work on getting the GT-S restored cost?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Techno duck, It didnt cost me to much to restore the car Ill give you a quicK price listall in CND dollars)
JDM 4age 7 rib engine (wasnt necessary but I wanted something different)
$500
4 front fenders (ill explain why I got 4 later): $450 for all 4
deep dish 14inch 280zx rims already powdercoated: $250
rust free passenger side door from junkyard: $50
rust free rear hatch from junkyard: $100
I then took a grinder and cut out the rear arches as they were rusted to hell and grinded down any surface rust.
then I took one of the front fenders cut out the arch from it and put it on the opposing side of the car like a mirror image so will the front left fender I put the arch from it on the rear right side then welded it in. I did that for the other side to then grinded away at the welds. I smoothed everything out with bondo and fiberglass/bondo: maybe $100 in bodyshop supplies
then I sent it to maaco. they did 5 hours of finishing prep work, rockguard then primer and a full color change for around $600. The guy there said he would have welded in new rears for me and done all the work including paint for $1000. The paintjob came out awesome. So they use a cheaper quality paint and primer big deal the paint is super resistant to the elements, its shiny and a respray in the future is only $200.
in total it cost me about 1900-2000 in restoration including the rims, new engine paint and body work.
The value of these cars is skyrocketing so I could turn around and get really good cash for it.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I also have a Trueno. Heavy modified. Lowered suspension, carbon fiber all around, big turbo, fat wheels and super sticky tires, bright red. Thing will out accelerate 300ZX turbos, 3000GTVR4s, BMW 330's, Supra's etc. etc. etc. I've been to the track at least 50 times with it and usually win on tracks with lots of cornering. It's the tracks with long straights that show my cars only weakness, 135 MPH top speed DOH!. That's okay it paid for the heavy modded Corvette GrandSport with 789HP (blue, white and red stripes, red Speedlines). The GrandSport will be short lived as I'm bucking for a heavy mod Vipor. Goal is 1100 HP, lightweight and fully adj. suspension.

Then again, I'll dump it all on April 28th and start again!

Last edited by ELLSSUU; 01-26-2004 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: OT Sprinter Trueno JDM