Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the 83 944 for a spin - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Took the 83 944 for a spin - PICS

We had very clear skies here today, so I decided to take a little road trip to visit the the surfing spots on the other side of the island. Checked the car's oil, got the cooler ready and packed a change of clothes and was all set...

Here's the view of the road in my 20-year-old 944...

This 83 has 207K miles on the original engine. Since the clutch was replaced right before Xmas., the car revs more easily than it had in a long time. Downshifting to 4th on the highway produces some good acceleration which combined with its good handling still makes it a fun car to drive and pass traffic on the highway. However, it's an old car, and with all the rice rockets down here you never know how many horses are under the hood, but this guy definitely had two more than me!

Made a quick stop to refuel and was suddenly surrounded by all these bikers on Harley Davidsons...

As I was nearing my destination I noticed these large brown birds diving into the surf... They were brown Pelicans.

A few more miles and welcome to Rincon, the local "surf city." Maria's Beach is were everyone was headed, so I did too.

Didn't do any surfing, but I did go swimming in those huge waves and when I decided to get back out, the surf was so strong that the only way to return to the beach was to let the current carry you back. When you're not on a surfboard, this is challenging to say the least, but I made it back OK.

Here's the old 83 coupe before starting the 80 mile return:

Saw some interesting Detroit iron on the way back, also

It's automatic when I
Talk with old friends
The conversation turns to
Girls we knew when their
Hair was soft and long and the
Beach was the place to go

("Do It Again" - The Beach Boys, 1968)
Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You jerk, you made me miss driving my car again! Last time I saw it it was covered in snow and a month's worth of filth. I hate Chicago winters.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Some great pics Luis! But where is that exactly, it doesn't say in ur post...
Looks like you had fun...I miss my 83 sometimes!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Puerto Rico, which I thought was the 3rd largest island of the Greater Antilles, but it turns out that would be Jamaica, as someone pointed out to me yesterday.

The 83 was the first 944 officially sold in the U.S. and it really is unlike any other 944. Everything is manual in this car, including the steering and even the sunroof. The U.S. version has a lower compression engine than its European counterpart, but the car still gets around quite nicely. Even after 20 years and 200K miles.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:47 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool photos. Reminded me of S. Australia at this time of the year. Although, we did have 5-6 ft. sets here in Encinitas, CA (water's a little cooler though 61!).
Old 01-26-2004, 01:11 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Luis!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

happen to get any good pics of the e30 in your 5th pic?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:20 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

beautiful, just like your other two. its a combination of our '83 and my '84. our '83 is just like that with the exception of fuchs wheels and zermatt silver paint. my 84 is gemini grey though, and came with cookie cutters, so that'll be the combo! how gorgeous, what coast was that on? i visited pr with my family a couple times, but that was years ago. we flew into san juan, and my father knew someone in aguadilla, so we drove there, and also to the south of the island. the rainforests are beautiful, and the beaches are unbeatable!

-Michael-
Old 01-26-2004, 01:22 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious Luis, but what do you do for a living that you get to live in Barcellona and Puerto Rico?
Old 01-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Hey hey hey man, no fair! I surf, its one of my passions!!!!! ITS SNOWING HERE!!!!!!! Ide rather be surfing... Man...I need to be at some warm surfing spot all winter...
Old 01-26-2004, 05:37 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should be ashamed but even though I can drive the 928GT any day I still miss my two 944's that aren't on the road yet..

The older 944's with manual steering is so much fun!!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Predator
Pro

I spent some time in Puerto Rico while in the Navy. We came to Roosevelt Roads on the eastern end every spring for 'Operation Springboard'. Always loved the Riveria Bar in Old San Jaun. Is it still there? I also remember that the ladies were drop-dead georgous in that place. $10 for the room and $15 for the lady. Not bad for 10 minutes "work"!, especially in 1970's money!!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Luis,

Thanks for the pics! Looks nice!

This may have already been covered and I missed it, but, is that a 924 rear spoiler, or is it just the camera angle? One of my friends had a very early 83 and it didn't have that little spoiler, but it did have the prop (non-strut) hood like on the 924. Were there little production line variations like that in the early 83 cars?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by iloveporsches
I'm just curious Luis, but what do you do for a living that you get to live in Barcellona and Puerto Rico?
I was asking myself the same question...

I miss mi isla del encanto...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by iloveporsches
I work in the gambling business and took a job in the Caribbean about 5 years ago. My home city is Barcelona, and I spend about 1 month out of the year there. How about you? What do you do in Chitown?

Originally posted by Predator
Always loved the Riveria Bar in Old San Juan. Is it still there? I also remember that the ladies were drop-dead georgous in that place.
Haven't heard of this one, but there are definitely some good looking women here. Between the locals and the visitors, it's a pretty explosive combination.

Originally posted by tifosiman
This may have already been covered and I missed it, but, is that a 924 rear spoiler, or is it just the camera angle?
Tifo, you have quite an eye, there. This is not the original hatch on the car. The original was crushed in a tree accident back in '99 and indeed, was replaced with a 924 hatch/spoiler. It looked weird to me at first, but its understated look and lightness have grown on me. I understand the glass is the same, but the spoiler is definitely lighter.

Quick Reply: Took the 83 944 for a spin - PICS