Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear ended today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got rear ended today!

And I had just finished detailing the 951….

Yesterday, Red1 (Brian) invites the local Houston guys over to his place. Weather is lousy to crappy depending on where you are in the greater Houston area. I thought about leaving the 951 in the nice warm and dry garage, but I knew I’d get ditzed for not driving the “garage queen” once again. So I decided to give Code Red some air. Now Brian doesn’t live just around the corner from me - he calls Clear Lake home (about 25 miles south of Houston) and I hail from Katy (about 25 miles west of Houston). So the round trip is pretty near 60 miles. I hop in Code Red and we make the trip with ease, but there is a fair amount of rain falling the entire time. At any rate, the trip out and back is pretty much uneventful even if it is wet.

So I get up this morning and set about to clean up the mess. I back Code Red into the driveway and give her a good bath – polish the wheels, add a little tire stuff, and just generally get her ready for the next outing.

Now it may be cold where you are, but Houston is at 72 degrees today – a beautiful sunny day. I finish the cleanup and ask Joyce if she wants to take a run down to our favorite Mexican food place for a late lunch. Life is good…. Joyce comes out and announces that she has to stop by Sam’s and pick up some things for the office. And that makes this my lucky day. We need the Tropper for the Sam’s run.

While out we stop by several car dealers to look for a replacement for the aging SUV. One of the dealers is a Chevy lot that happens to be open on Sundays instead of the usual Saturday. As we are leaving I notice two young men picking up what appears to be a new Caviler. We pull out and get about a mile down the road and come to a construction site with a yield sign. I slow down to get ready to enter traffic, but the guys in the new Caviler are not watching close enough. The brake squeal noise follows a sudden pop as the Caviler attempts to mate with the Tropper. I get out expecting the worse and sure enough the Caviler is pretty crumpled. However the Tropper is only sporting a few lower bumper scrapes – not even worth reporting. The Cav will need a new hood and front bumper, but everything else looked pretty good. As I told the driver, if you had to have an accident, this was a pretty good place to do it. His car nose dived under my rear bumper and crumpled the hood, but the fenders were fine, the air bags didn’t deploy, and the lights were all intact. I really feel for the kid. This was his first new car – I hate that he didn’t even get a mile down the road before he toasted it. In his defense, the area is new construction with new signs all around. The last time I went down this road there wasn’t a yield sign there – it kinda took me by surprise too. I did notice in time to slow down at a normal rate, but I think the kid was watching the oncoming traffic instead – not expecting me to still be in front of him. Bummer, he was a nice kid. Very polite, apologized for the accident and looked like he could just cry when we left. Hope his parents don’t kill him.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:14 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Very rare ending to an auto accident story. Good luck getting you car straightened out, and read the paper, let us know what happens to him.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:14 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith, when I started reading this thread I started feeling ill. Kevin has told me time and again how NICE your car is. Glad no one was hurt, even more glad is was NOT Code Red. WONDERFUL thing about the older SUV's, man. Just take beatings like they were made for it. Weather was NUTS leaving work last night, and then (typically) it's gorgeous today. Later.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was very nice of you to deal with him like that. There should be more people who think the way you do about accidents. That is a horrible thing to happen to his first new car.
-Andrew
Old 01-25-2004, 08:20 PM
icat
Race Car

Just to clairfy for everyone (Brad) - Code Red never left the driveway today. She's looking good and all comfy under the car cover in the garage. The Tropper is fine as well. Only damage was to the kids new Cav. And yes, the post was intended to be an acurate account of what really happened - only the names were changed to protect the innocent (and add a little humor).
Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

rofl
Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My heart was in my throat until I saw it was the Trooper. It sure was a beautiful day today, I wouldn't have been surprised at all had you been in Code Red.

Glad to see everyone's ok. Count your blessings on this one.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, you gotta work on your foreshadowing.. Glad to hear everythings alright.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Predator
Pro

Same thing happened to me a few years back. Got rearended my a jeep while in my full size Bronco. He hit at about 30 and destroyed his car. I had to get a new spare tire carrier, he another car! Something to be said for big iron. My daily driver is an '02 F-350. I feel real safe when my family is aboard, and I usually drive Predator solo.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 PM
icat
Race Car

Yep - the 'ole Tropper took the hit in stride. Funny thing is, if it hadn't been for the Sam's run we would have been in Code Red. Gotta thank Joyce for that one. I'm sure the Porsche would not have been so lucky. Oh, one other thing - this is the THIRD time the Tropper has been rear ended - hardly a scratch on her. Corners like a boat, but it sure can take a hit!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:04 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT Start a thread with "got rear ended today" and not put ..."in the Trooper".......

J/K.....Sorry to hear it, but thank goodness Code Red was not involved...
Old 01-26-2004, 12:08 AM
icat
Race Car

Sorry James, couldn't resist.
But ya gotta admit, it's one good reason for NOT driving the 951.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Keith, you durn near gave me a heart attack with that one.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 AM
icat
Race Car

Joyce says I'm a mean sucker, but I'm over here laughing so hard I gotta go pee! Ya'll have a great night - I'm off to bed!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

That is just wrong. Keith you made me forget about my hurting tooth. I'm glad Joyce needed to go to Sam's. Thank God no one was hurt.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today!