Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving "Watercooled" ; entering "Air Cooled"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Camaro's aside...

If Tom has a question about 911's there is nothing wrong with asking it here.
Tom's been a member of this forum for some time and knows the people here and I assume he values their opinions as I do.
Some of us here are also 911 owners or have owned them in the past, or perhaps would like to own one in the future.

Look at all the threads we have asking opinions on things not even car related or Non-porsche cars.
As much as some of us 944 fanatics would hate to admit it, the 911 is a Porsche also!

Why cant we all just get along?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

marc,
clean out your pm box. i just spoke to the guy and want to send you my office number to get your opinion on some stuff he said.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol!!!

wow i guess all those times i changed the oil, and that time i did the ball joints, and the time i changed my front hubs/rotors, and the hours under the dash figuring out my wiring problem, and all the times i've messed with the exhaust, and that time i changed the rear wheel bearing, and the time i changed the head gasket, and the time i upgraded the sway bars, and all the interior and exterior work i did didnt teach me anything.

hilarious!

-Michael-
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Restoring my firebird tought me the importance of an education and a good job in an area that I have skills.

I don't pretend to be a crackerjack mechanic, and my crakerjack mechanic doesn't pretend to be a mediocre lawyer.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:25 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i dunno, i rather enjoy working on my car. but only working on cars on the side. i really love flying. a great quote: "find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life" so i don't plan on ever working, as i dont count wrenching as working... otherwise i wouldn't take on all these projects. and no matter what car you buy be it your old firebird, or a 911 SC or a 944, you will need to do SOMETHING to it to make it the way YOU want it. there is no other way to OWN the car. all else are just passengers until the true owner comes along.

-Michael-
Old 01-26-2004, 05:33 PM
944ZEN
Instructor

I don't want to disturb anyone by beginning a 911 discussion in the 944 forum. So i will keep this short.

Just to sum up on Tom R.'s question's.

I have not picked up the car yet, but heres what i know for now.

in '98 the car has been dismantled and repainted, it recieved a new interior that still looks really good. All the work was done by the shop that is now the seller, and i have the original bill on $ 9K. All parts specified, mostly new sealing, rubber, and chain guides, brakes, new gear syncros.

The service book says it was restored in '92 as well.

And after that it has newly recovered seats, new targa material, new gas tank, new radio a.s.o. from earlier tha car have had SSI heatboxes, non-rubber clutch, new chain tensioner.

But i'm not into all details yet.

But my overall impression was that the chassis and interior was showrom condition, and the mechanic was in good maintained condition.

So let this bee the last words on the 911 SC in this thread.

If any further question's PM me.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Originally posted by 944ZEN
I don't want to disturb anyone by beginning a 911 discussion in the 944 forum. So i will keep this short.
Zen, you were never a disturbance. People like you, Marc is a pleasure to read from. I think you made some excellent points explaining your choice. Your welcomed to stay talk cars, 911 and anything else
Old 01-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Zen,
How many miles? How much did you pay, what size wheels any evidence of accidents etc? I called on an SC and liked what the seller said, but then got turned off when I spoke to his mechanic, who for all i know is trying to buy it on the cheap for his resale lot.

ignore EZ's comments, he was probably having a bad day.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:16 AM
944ZEN
Instructor

OK Then Tom R.

220.000 Km (137 K Miles) on odometer. It had 16" fuchs, but i'm getting 17" 996 wheels (that's my taste, i dont like the fuhcs). No accident (in the contract, and garantie on odometer). And the guy that showed me the vehicle is the mechanic/garage that has been servicing the car since '92 and 75K Miles. Alot of money has been spendt on it already (bill's since '98 sums to more than $10K. So i suspect that all the bad stuff is now replaced.

On top off it he gave me a 6month 100% Garantie on everything, since i expressed my concern that something would break the day after i leave the shop. And he threw in a brand new Blaupunkt (german radio).

The garage i bought from is stopping used car sales, and going to be just a repair shop again, so he was eager to sell. Remember the official porche dealer said directly, that he didn't want to by a 944. He had one in his shop for 3 year's that he sold with loss.

I hope to run the car on roghly the same budget as i would have spendt on the 944. Parts prices are comparable.

The price ?? Remember in my country there's a 180% Tax on cars, meanin that a $10K car would cost approx. $28K in my country. But my exchange price is $29K, suggesting a US price tag at roughly $10K.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds nicer than the one owner SC i called about. The high tax has to have a negative effect on the underlying price. For 10k I would ship the car here (forgetting about smog regulations etc).

The one I called about supposedly has about the same mileage, one recent accident, and needs about 5k in mechanicals to be 100%.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

The car i called about is fading when i see an ad for this
http://drlnet.tzo.net/
which is probably a lot like what you bought as far as condition goes.

Last edited by Tom R.; 01-27-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaving "Watercooled" ; entering "Air Cooled"