Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<sigh>

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:40 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Unhappy <sigh>

Meh, if you all will forgive me, I'm just going to wallow for a few minutes. If nothing else, this usually makes me feel a bit better...

A few of the members here know the full story behind the Carrera I'm babysitting. The car was my father's pride and joy. Well, almost two years ago he died of a sudden heart attack. Since then, the 911 spent most of it's time sitting in my stepmom's garage in DC, rotting away. Every couple of months I'd pick it up for a week or two to drive it, but it was starting to deteriorate. Towards the end of last summer, my stepmom agreed to let me take it home with me. I don't do a lot of driving in it, but I try to make sure that it's run every week or two, and keep up with her regular maintenance.

Now, because it was his prized possession, the car has a lot of sentimental value to me and the rest of my family. There was even talk of me inheriting it, which, while I'd be lying if I said wouldn't be downright spiffy, it's not something that I was really gunning for. All in all, so long as it stayed taken care of in the family, I'd be happy.

Well, a few nights ago my stepmom said she's going to be selling it in the spring. This really blew me away, and has me a bit upset. Not because I won't end up with it, but because I just can't grasp her selling such a sentimental object (second only to his POW pajamas from his stint in Hanoi). I understand the reasoning behind it... Her car needs to be replaced, and she just can't drive the 911. She's spending a lot of money maintaining a car that isn't even parked at her house anymore. So, on paper, it makes sense.

There has been some talk of me buying it from her. I've got $15k sitting in a CD right now, so I could technically afford it. Problem is that I'm going to be going back to school full time with no significant income and the money is earmarked for that. Plus, the last thing I need is another mouth to feed during all of this. Especially a mouth as hungry as that car will be.

So, it's a painful decision, but I'm going to have to let the old girl go. Trying to pick her up will be a distraction from my goal. The fact that this is the right decision does help a bit. But still, I'm kinda bummed about the whole thing...

Anyway... I just wanted to ramble a bit...

BB.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that sucks. maybe a rennlister could buy it. with you having a buyback option in a few years.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear it, but sell it to a rennlister, you know it will be in good hands that way, and you will still be in touch eith the car...
~Eyal
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm sorry to hear it, but sell it to a rennlister, you know it will be in good hands that way, and you will still be in touch with the car...
~Eyal
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
jp944
Pro

You have a PM
Old 01-23-2004, 05:57 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Brian,
I'm sorry again to hear this...I concur with the idea that if you were to sell to a Rennlister, or better yet a local Rennlister, you would still have contact with the car...
And I know it's way more than just a car...
I feel for ya man
Old 01-23-2004, 06:03 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

Given a choice, I'd rather it go to a Rennlister. When the time comes, I'll make a post on it and give you guys the first dibs. I'm not sure when or how much, but that'll get figured out later.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to hold on to it if you could. See what she would let it go to you for. Hopefully you could work out a good deal. Payments perhaps. Then do minimum maintainence on it(little to none, just put it in storage) while you finish school, and a full restoration when you finish and have the time and money. It might be tougher, but I would say it's worth it.

Edit: If it were me, I'd consider selling the 944 as well to cover costs. My 944 is great and all, but it's not worth nearly as much as that 911 would be(sentimentally).
Old 01-23-2004, 06:19 PM
kinda5150
Racer

sorry man, that def sux. i concur about getting rid of the 44 to get the 11. it couldn't be that much maintanence, plus you got vw to cover you. that's the natural evolution my friend......vw, 924/944, then the 911. it was like density or something. (yes i know, i spelled it that way on purpose). good luck and sorry again for the loss of your dad.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:21 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, between her needing the money to buy a replacement car (her's is spending too much time in the shop) and the fact that it's still going to be several thousand dollars that I shouldn't be spending, a payment plan ins't a viable option, either. I'm going to have a discussion with her at some point just to see what options there are, but I'm not optimistic...

In the end, the only way I'd be able to acquire the car is for one of us to give up far more than we're currently able to do... So unless that changes...

BB.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:28 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

hmm, maybe we can get rennlist involved in this. perhaps some sort of fund set up so you can keep your fathers car. maybe a few of the vendors on here could get a special promo set up for you? rennbay and others, travis, you guys out there, c'mon help a 'lister out!

-Michael-
Old 01-23-2004, 06:29 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Heh... the guys over at my other forum are saying the same thing!

BB.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:32 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yeah man, you shouldn't have to part with that car. is a beauty (i love garnet red, or colors like it. in fact, my drivers side door started out garnet red) and its a family jewel. losing it would be like losing... well, you know. lets get something set up
Old 01-23-2004, 06:34 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I suppose we'll also have to see what the rest of the family has to say about this (they don't know yet). I know that with my dad's side of the family, this'll go over like the proverbial lead balloon...

BB.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:37 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

My uncle had an '87 Targa.. I love the old 911's too. Never did get to drive it before he sold it, though (bummer). Keep it and take good care of it! Heck, drive it to the gathering that we'll have in the area later in the summer

-Kevin

Quick Reply: <sigh>