Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<sigh>

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I'd love to help you out with the whole "keeping it in the family" idea if you can't keep it yourself in the end... but I don't think I could afford a 911 unfortunately
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could she take your old Jetta as her car? Or perhaps buy her an old Civic for $5k and keep the 911? Here's a 98 with 17K miles for $5K.

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...onal&src=&cid=
Old 01-23-2004, 06:52 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

She won't go for that, and of all the cars in the picture, the Jetta is the one that I simply cannot afford to lose.

Anywho, this is how the situation currently stands. Things may change as they progress, but...

BB.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:53 PM
2+2
Pro

That sux.....
I think it's great that you would like to keep the car just because it was your dad's toy... I was thinking what Ken was thinking.......
Old 01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

If you want it, you're going to have to fight for it. Just like everything else in life that's worth a damn.

Please don't give up so easily.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

It's not so much me wanting it for myself. I just want it to stay in the family. Like I said, I'm going to see what I can work out. However, as things currently stand, it doesn't look good, and I've got too much going on in my life right now to pick up a new battle.

BB.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:02 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I know how you feel about wanting to keep the car in the family. Maybe someone from your father's side of the family will be able to buy it. If not, maybe each member of the family can contribute some money and share ownership of the car. If it turns out that you have to sell the car, be sure to keep a copy of the vin. Once you finish school and are in a better situation to afford it, you might be lucky enough to find it for sale.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:30 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I'm hoping that my brother might be able to help out with this one. Ever since my dad bought that first '74, my bro has loved 911s. He plans on buying a 996 (or the 997, if that's what is available when he does it) targa soon. He's also pretty keen on keeping this one in the family, so maybe he'll be able to do something...?

BB.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:23 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

Well, it seems that the rest of the family is far from pleased with my stepmom's decision. And I mean "it's bad".

These next few weeks should be interesting...

BB.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:41 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

I have strong feelings about this sort of situation. If this was my dad's car there's no way I'd let it go. Even if you did find a friendly buyer your risking the chance of never getting it back. Or having to buy it back at double the price. Much cheaper to keep it.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:43 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

BB, sorry to hear about this, man. I can TRULY appreciate wanting to keep ahold of sentinmental things. We lost our Grandma this past Thanksgiving and it got my big sister and I to talking about what if and when Dad were to pass. Our stepmom is ten years his junior, and she's quite a wonderful woman. But, SHE is the surviving wife and SHE would have the say-so on what goes to where and whom.

ALL I ever did growing up with my Dad was fish, wrench on the cars & motocycles, and go hunting. I've made it clear to Dad that all I really want (PURELY for sentimental reasons) are his guns and the fishing rods. My sis agreed that of all his kids and stepkids and in-laws that I would appreciate those things most. Almost EVERY time my Dad went huting or fishing, I was always right there. Now, whether or not it goes like I will not even THINK about until whenever that day comes.

I don't know why I started rambling like that. My sis and I weren't trying to divide up our Dad's stuff, but death always puts things into perspective. Losing our Grandma made me realize how precious life is, and I too am now returning to college this Fall. I really hope it works out for you. Maybe you and your bro can work out a partial ownership thing. I know some people would say "it's just a car" but I can honestly appreciate the sentimental attachment to our loved ones' possessions. Good luck, dude, and keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Well, here's what the family is thinking...

They are viewing the car as an heirloom (sp?) that simply should not be sold. If she doesn't want to keep spending money on it (which is understandible) she should give it to a family member who is willing to do so. And it is also considered fair that she be reimbursed for a certain amount of the cost of maintaining the car for the past two years (there was about $600 in repairs needed and a percentage of insurance, registration, etc.). So, we'll just so see how she responds to this offer.

I know it seems that I threw the towel in a bit early, and to an extent, that is true. Without going into details, I was very close to my father and the after-effects of his death took a huge toll on me. I was finally able to move on after a year or so, but going to war over this could re-ignite old battles that I wasn't emotionally prepared to go back to now that things settling back into order. Right or wrong, it was easier to turn tail on this one.

Sorry again for the babbling, I think I'm just a bit emotional right now. In a few hours, weather permitting, I'm going to the 2004 POW Tet reunion dinner. He died the morning after the 2002 reunion dinner. I'd like to take the 911, too, but it's supposed to be snowing, so...

BB.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:19 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Fight the good fight, BB. You could still dump the 944 (which would surely cover the reimbursement to your stepmom), park the Carrera until school's done, drive the beater until then, and then bring her back to glory. Just a suggestion, dude. It just seems to me that you and that car and meant to be together. I understand the emotional ties, man. My Dad wasn't my greatest idol, but he is the only one I actually KNOW.

-Taylor
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Actually, I'd be willing to fork over the reimbursement costs without batting an eye, and then keeping up the current status quo.

BB.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

In that case man, here's hoping it goes down like that. Peace, bro. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: <sigh>