Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:25 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Laura!

Nice car! and it's nice to add another woman to the board.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:31 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Actually, it's now going on the longest elapsed period of not driving it for me... what with the salt gods dumping all over the roads these day. I had it out two weeks ago for a couple of days in a row - during the super cold but clean road period.
She's just itchin to get out again soon.
We're up in Manchester too often for our wallets. Like everyone else in central CT that's one of the closest malls and eatery locations. John Harvards is one of my favorites.
Anyway - how much of your own work do you do? Do you have a garage where you're at? Just curious.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 PM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

Yeah, I know what you mean -- too much shopping for our own good! I like John Harvards too.

The last time I got mine out was right after Christmas when we had a couple of 50 degree days and everything was dry. I live on the side of Manchester near 384, which has very little traffic and newly paved roads, so I like to take her on there and also on some of the back roads on Birch Mountain.

My husband has done small bits of work on it, like fixing a glitch with the blinker switch, making e-brake adjustments, replacing fuses, and is currently replacing all the outdated stereo equipment for me, but he's not a mechanic. There is a place on New State Road in Manchester, Imported Auto I believe it's called, that I've heard a lot of good things about from people while I was shopping around to purchase the car last summer, so I'll probably give them a shot when she needs something.

Laura
Old 01-23-2004, 12:54 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

I highly recommend a Porsche master mechanic in North Stonington (even more southeastern) CT - I could give you his contact if you ever need it. If I recall, his prices are stuck in the 1980s at around $40 / hour and he does maticulous work.
In fairness, I may not be the best to evaluate him, I've only been there once - since then I decided to stop paying for his kids' educations and have taught myself everything that I've needed to do (which, in a good and bad way, has been a bunch so far!).

I work at UConn, so if you're ever down this way, give me a call on the work phone: 486-3338. I'd love to see the car; sounds like a nice example of the first Turbo year.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:35 PM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

Thanks for the tip; I'd definitely like to get the guy's name and number from you. My husband is considering learning more and doing stuff himself too, so we'll see. I definitely know where to send him if he has questions!

As for me, the most work I can do is that I handmade a sunroof pouch. This is where you can tell that I'm the girl in the group!

I'll keep your # handy and if I'm ever in the Storrs area, I'll let you know. Or maybe in the spring sometime you can swing by my place on your way to go out to eat in Manchester! My e-mail is fiercestcalm469@yahoo.com.

Nice talking to ya!
Laura
Old 01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Soooooo......another black 86 951. Nice Is it black/black or black/tan? Like I said in the other post, I'll be out in Cold Spring, NY, in early April. If it's not too far, maybe we can meet halfway and compare cars. I'm missing mine right now as the snow has sidelined her for a while. I'm thinking of selling the Exploder and putting her back on the road full-time with a set of decent snow tires. I've got a set of gold BBS's that's look pretty good for the winter months.......

What's the deal on yours? Are those Fuchs? Any more shots you can post? Here's a couple more of mine including the "infamous" purple house.......

Old 01-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Laura!
From a black '86 944 of the non-turbocharged variety
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 AM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

Michelle,

Mine is a black/black and yes, I believe that those are fuchs (one of the many things I've learned since visiting this site!)

It would be great to meet up -- I'm not sure where in NY that is, but when it gets closer to your trip we can figure it out.

THe pics of yours are great! She looks like she's in perfect condition. I'll have to scan a few more pics of mine to share. I took a bunch of pics when I first got her in late August. Now she's in hibernation and I'm driving an SUV for the winter. Everytime I pull into the garage and see her sitting there I can't stand it! But now, with a major snowstorm yet again at our doorstep, I don't think she's going anywhere soon.

Laura
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
Ladies are always welcome on Rennlist! Welcome!

Welcome Laura. You'll find that Rennlist is a great place.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:07 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by fiercestcalm
As for me, the most work I can do is that I handmade a sunroof pouch. This is where you can tell that I'm the girl in the group!
Oh, don't say that! I put new 968 handles on my turbo, replaced the timing belts, and have put a new head gasket in my n/a (although I haven't finished it ). I can't begin to describe the feeling of accomplishment you get working on your own car. I figured if I could put together a complicated recipe, I could follow the instructions to fix a car! So far I've been right Try it sometime.

Quick Reply: Warm Welcome