Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019 | 01:50 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Torque once, drive, torque again, drive, torque again, drive....get it?

The bolts clamp on to an aluminum sleeves for each bolt hole in the oil pan gasket. If you over torque, then they get bent/warped and don't clamp down properly. Sometimes you have to keep at it.
Old 06-11-2019 | 01:36 AM
azerite
Advanced

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Torque once, drive, torque again, drive, torque again, drive....get it?

The bolts clamp on to an aluminum sleeves for each bolt hole in the oil pan gasket. If you over torque, then they get bent/warped and don't clamp down properly. Sometimes you have to keep at it.
Got it.. could you please share with me where the 4 long bolts go? I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find their location.
Old 08-05-2019 | 02:17 PM
azerite
Advanced

If anybody is still following this, i found the cause of the sticking clutch pedal. A recently replaced the transmission with a unit from a 944S2. There was some noise in the trans that i suspected was a worn out bearing and it was way cheaper to pick up an S2 trans (more stout i believe) then rebuild the S. I'll have to send the S trans to get rebuilt at some point in the next year in case i want to swap back (power).

Long story short, the torque tube i noticed wasn't flush with the flange. I knocked it in 1/2 inch, on last assembly the torque tube and the input shaft from the trans were touching which i thought was kind of odd. It drive fine originally, but not that i put it in 1/2 inch deeper, the clutch is perfect. I have a feeling the pilot bearing and overall assembly was leaning out a bit and causing the clutch to "stick". Since this, everything's been working great!
Old 08-05-2019 | 08:56 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azerite
If anybody is still following this, i found the cause of the sticking clutch pedal. A recently replaced the transmission with a unit from a 944S2. There was some noise in the trans that i suspected was a worn out bearing and it was way cheaper to pick up an S2 trans (more stout i believe) then rebuild the S. I'll have to send the S trans to get rebuilt at some point in the next year in case i want to swap back (power).

Long story short, the torque tube i noticed wasn't flush with the flange. I knocked it in 1/2 inch, on last assembly the torque tube and the input shaft from the trans were touching which i thought was kind of odd. It drive fine originally, but not that i put it in 1/2 inch deeper, the clutch is perfect. I have a feeling the pilot bearing and overall assembly was leaning out a bit and causing the clutch to "stick". Since this, everything's been working great!
Glad you got it figured out. The S trans is essentially a turbo trans with an NA r&p. No info if it is stronger than a stock NA trans but the gears are the same measurements as a turbo trans. The S2 trans is an upgrade and should do you very well.

Quick Reply: 944S resurrection