Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover or Re-upholster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 10:46 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default Cover or Re-upholster

My seats have rips in them and I was wondering if there are any decent seat covers out there that are worth getting. I know re-upholstering is a lot of money and I don't want to spend a lot but I want something that looks decent. My experience with seat covers is that they don't fit well and are more trouble than they are worth.

So the question is...Has anybody recovered their seats and are happy with the results. pictures would be appreciated. Also what would the cost be to recover them. I know there are kits but are there any inexpensive (not cheap) kits?
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:52 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

I've seen some some seat covers that are made of the the 'scuba wet suit' material. Nice cushion, very durable, and it made a secure fit over the seats. I need to consider them for my car, also. Re-upholstering sounds too expensive.

Does anyone know of a vendor for these?
Old 01-22-2004 | 03:17 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I reupholstered the seats in my old 85.5 944. I searched for covers but they were all total crap and I think a Porsche deserves better. I got the new covers from World Upholstery for around $450. They weren't too hard to do but you need to take your time. I'll be doing the same job on my current S2 but I'm going to buy the covers from Travis at Rennbay (www.rennbay.com). He sells them for $299. They are vinyl, not leather, but so were the ones I bought from World Upholstery. The vinyl looks just like the leather but it won't shrink and harden up like leather does. It should wear better also.
Here are a few pics of my old car's seats. Whaddya think?

Old 01-22-2004 | 03:24 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by 944pete
I reupholstered the seats in my old 85.5 944. I searched for covers but they were all total crap and I think a Porsche deserves better. I got the new covers from World Upholstery for around $450. They weren't too hard to do but you need to take your time. I'll be doing the same job on my current S2 but I'm going to buy the covers from Travis at Rennbay (www.rennbay.com). He sells them for $299. They are vinyl, not leather, but so were the ones I bought from World Upholstery. The vinyl looks just like the leather but it won't shrink and harden up like leather does. It should wear better also.
Here are a few pics of my old car's seats. Whaddya think?

Think it looks great. Those seats would look great in my car!!!! thanks for the pictures.

Anyway $299 still seems like a lot of money but I am getting the feeling that I am going to have to pay that. Unless anybody has some experience with any other alternatives.
Old 01-22-2004 | 05:26 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Does travis have colors other than black?

-Christian
Old 01-22-2004 | 05:42 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht
Does travis have colors other than black?

-Christian
From the Rennbay site:

Other colors are available but they take up to 2 weeks to be made and shipped. If you want another color besides black please include that in the "notes" section of your order.
Old 01-22-2004 | 06:06 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cover or Re-upholster

Originally posted by jeeper31
My seats have rips in them and I was wondering if there are any decent seat covers out there that are worth getting. I know re-upholstering is a lot of money and I don't want to spend a lot but I want something that looks decent. My experience with seat covers is that they don't fit well and are more trouble than they are worth.

So the question is...Has anybody recovered their seats and are happy with the results. pictures would be appreciated. Also what would the cost be to recover them. I know there are kits but are there any inexpensive (not cheap) kits?
Trust me on this..There aren't any off the shelf seat covers that will fit the 944 seat properly. I looks at pep boys, autozone, target, walmart, the web,..nothing. The only one that might fit is a genuine sheepskin that they sell at Costco, assuming sheepskins is your type. Otherwise, I guess I will be saving up money to re-upholster them.
Old 01-22-2004 | 06:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I have seen the Wet Okole seat covers, the ones made with the wetsuit material. They fit the seats very well, hard to tell they were even covers if you didnt know any better. They arent much cheaper than the RennBay covers though, they are i believe $250 from Peformance Products. Their was someone on Ebay selling them, the ending bid went for $185 i believe. The only thing i dont really like about the covers is the "Wet Okole" design on the headrest area....but i could live with it.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:35 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Default OEM Seat Cover

I purchased a drivers seat that had black vinyl with the black cloth insert (Porsche Lettered Cloth). I took off the seat material from the frame. I was going to use it to replace my drivers seat. My 944 came with black vinyl with PinStrip Flannel -Anthracite. I decided to hold off and not mix fabrics just to get rid of my rips. I'll keep going to the Hershey swaps and hope for an exact match.
So now I have this OEM seat cover without a home. If anyone is interested in this, I would let it go for $50. I have digital pictures that I could email you with. I would also include the hardware (switches, rails, etc).
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:44 PM
RobbyK
Pro

From: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Trust me if u do it ur self re-upholstering is the best bet but it takes ALOT of time.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Rennbay kits look very nice and certainly are apealing, but my upholstry skills are probably not up to snuff. I would wait for Hershey and see if you could get a set of new seats.

Matt
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:51 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

I have covers right now, cheaper than some of the ones mentioned before. They are starting to get in really bad shape. I will probably re-upholster this summer, just seems to feel more natural and I think it looks better.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:59 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

ewww,sheepskin!!!!!my mom bought that for our 928 and it stinks when water gets onto it.im thinking about buying that seat kit from rennbay,pretty fair price.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:00 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default Re: OEM Seat Cover

Originally posted by DLarsen
I purchased a drivers seat that had black vinyl with the black cloth insert (Porsche Lettered Cloth). I took off the seat material from the frame. I was going to use it to replace my drivers seat. My 944 came with black vinyl with PinStrip Flannel -Anthracite. I decided to hold off and not mix fabrics just to get rid of my rips. I'll keep going to the Hershey swaps and hope for an exact match.
So now I have this OEM seat cover without a home. If anyone is interested in this, I would let it go for $50. I have digital pictures that I could email you with. I would also include the hardware (switches, rails, etc).
Dlarson... you have a PM
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

To go over some of the questions in this post let me start by saying that the recovering process does take time. I would allow about 24 FULL hours for your fist time. You can do it much quicker but in order to get them perfect, it takes time.
We can do custom colors but the lead time for them has gone up. They now take about 1 month to get complete. We have so many orders for the standard black sets its hard to get a production slot in for the custom ones.
The seats kits are excellent but they are an upgrade better suited to the car owner who likes to take there time and get every detail perfect when doing a project. If anyone has any questions about the seat kits please feel free to email me at travis@rennbay.com

Quick Reply: Cover or Re-upholster