Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recurring odometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:00 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Recurring odometer issue

I have already replaced the odometer gear in the instrument cluster, so that is not the problem. What does occur is that the odometer works for a while, then randomly quits working. I take the cluster out, check everything (no slipped/misaligned pins), put it back together and it works for some time, then quits again. Process - rinse, lather, repeat. Any ideas on why this keeps happening and how to ensure it stays working? Car is a 1987.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I experienced a very similar situation many years ago (1996 with 134,000 miles). I replaced the Odometer gear, worked for a while, then quit. When I took the instrument cluster out again, I noticed a little binding of the gears on the odometer shaft and there was a very small amount of play laterally of the gears on the shaft. I installed a small, thin washer as a spacer between the most right gear and the end of the shaft. I felt there was a slight mis-alignment/meshing of the odo gears that caused a binding. Never a problem again............(2018 with 292,000 miles).
Old 09-21-2018, 04:30 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy has a similar problem with his 968. New gear, but it intermittently works. We had no idea what to try next so we'll try a thin washer. Maybe a wavy spring washer?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

It might be a different gear that is slipping
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by DLarsen
I experienced a very similar situation many years ago (1996 with 134,000 miles). I replaced the Odometer gear, worked for a while, then quit. When I took the instrument cluster out again, I noticed a little binding of the gears on the odometer shaft and there was a very small amount of play laterally of the gears on the shaft. I installed a small, thin washer as a spacer between the most right gear and the end of the shaft. I felt there was a slight mis-alignment/meshing of the odo gears that caused a binding. Never a problem again............(2018 with 292,000 miles).
I could be way out in left field here, but the 928 has a very similar odo gear issue. It gets old and crumbles into pieces.

There's a really good writeup at a site called "Dwayne's Garage". He goes into all the detail needed to remove everything, disassemble everything, replace the gear and put it all back together.

He noted that the 'slop' issue is with the odo display 'wheels' (the ones with the numbers).
They would bind if there was too much lateral play.

I did mine (in the 928) and there was just a bit of slop. Not enough to matter, I thought. About 2000 miles later, the odo stopped working. When I got it apart, it was apparent that the wheels were binding. I could get it to bind by spinning the gears by hand. It was 'right on the edge' before, and wore out just enough to bind up.

I put a small washer in between the wheels and the 'frame' and haven't had a problem since (13k miles).

Dwayne's site:

http://dwaynesgarage.norcal928.org/

Odo repair is near the bottom.

Quick Reply: Recurring odometer issue