Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche "Signature" Cloth seat inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche "Signature" Cloth seat inserts

Gidday from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm seeking to understand whether the Porsche "signature"seat insert cloth is available from PCNA or elsewhere in the world. This sort of cloth seat insert was fitted to Australian delivery 1989 951's (at least) as well as many other models available at around the same time.

A motor trimmer friend in Melbourne is looking some a source of supply. It was available in past years, but not recently

Any ideas?

Please get back to me.

Paul F
Old 01-20-2004, 09:51 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Give these guys a try.

Le Mans, eh
Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

I used LeMans last year with good results. And hey, I'm on the opposite side of the world.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Default Thanks for this

Our kiwi cousins are just over "the ditch". I'll pas on their details.

Paul F
Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Paul, you could also try these blokes in the UK:

Southbound Motor Trimmers
Little Dean Yard, London Road, Stockbridge, Hampshire, SO20 6EL, England
Tel: + 44 (0) 1264 810 080, Fax: + 44 (0) 1264 810 080

They advertise in the UK Porsche periodicals and appear to have a wide variety of original fabrics.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Default Thanks for this II

I'll pass this contact on too.

Re LeMans: were you abel to get black signature cloth from them? My trimmer feels that they didn't have any left last time he used them?

Paul F
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone know of any places in the US for this stuff? I looked at the place in New Zealand- they had the linen script cloth- I would love to have some of that to recover some new momo Street RAcers- IF I can ever afford to buy the seats to begin with- I really like the cloth- I have the script in my '88 Turbo S- black, but, I would like to change the color to linen...
Old 03-08-2004, 12:55 AM
panzer grey
Instructor

Why is there no US supplier for the Porsche cloth ?

I can't believe there is that much of a market in New Zealand.

Once the two known suppliers sell their stock, is that it ? Forever ?

Does anyone know who made the Porsche cloth originally ? ...and how did these aftermarket suppliers get ahold of so much raw material ?

Hmmmm....it's a riddle.

What about carpet ? Is the replacement carpet from the dealer any different / more accurate than the "sliverknit" replacement sold by World Upholstery ?

I called the dealer today and they quoted me $451 front, $ 300 rear for 1985.5 carpet.

Not as outrageously expensive as I feared.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by panzer grey
Why is there no US supplier for the Porsche cloth ?

I can't believe there is that much of a market in New Zealand.

Once the two known suppliers sell their stock, is that it ? Forever ?

Does anyone know who made the Porsche cloth originally ? ...and how did these aftermarket suppliers get ahold of so much raw material ?

Hmmmm....it's a riddle.

What about carpet ? Is the replacement carpet from the dealer any different / more accurate than the "sliverknit" replacement sold by World Upholstery ?

I called the dealer today and they quoted me $451 front, $ 300 rear for 1985.5 carpet.

Not as outrageously expensive as I feared.
Is the REAR price the hatch deck carpet? As for the cloth, etc- Porsche put out ALL KINDS OF OPTIONS that 99% of the people here probably have no clue existed- I was looking through the PET CD last night- I've posted several threads here about this on this board & the 968 board.... I would love to be able to get some of these more unique materials- hopefully I will have some pics posted by now- I was asking for them- I'm about to check & see...
Old 03-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

carpet at www.944online.com is 449 for the whole cars worth of carpet. even the carpet on the map holders
Old 03-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by yieldsign2
carpet at www.944online.com is 449 for the whole cars worth of carpet. even the carpet on the map holders
I'm not trying to knock 944online in ANY way, & have never seen any of their stuff, OR, heard about it, BUT, are you SURE that is all nice carpet? Have you ever SEEN it? the hatch covers don't look real at all- they LOOK like pieces of carpet only- not at all like the factory hatch deck carpets w/the thick sound deadening, etc- I've seen several types of carpet sets & all have looked like COMPLETE SH** in person! They were the inexpensive type replacements & were not worth burning, much less installing- I'm not the pickiest person in hte world, BUT, after having seen the two dif types I've seen, I would want to make positively SURE I knew what I was getting... Just curious- again, not saying ANYTHING about them- just asking....
Old 03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

My opinion is that if the carpet is not "sliverknit", it will be of lesser quality.

It all depends of your standards.

If you want to make your car as close to original, stick with sliverknit.

If you just want it to look nice and replace stained and worn carpeting, the other options are satisfactory.

The price difference between the exact match sliverknit and the "close" to original carpet is $270.

That's nothing to sneeze at, but it's not much for those who are spending thousands on their car anyway.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:56 AM
PCMAX
Racer

The Guys at Le Mans have the good stuff & I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive to ship it. The other benefit would be that $1USD = about $1.42NZD. You guys cant loose.
Paul F,
I spoke to hem last week re the black signature cloth & the reply was:

"We are trying to source this fabric and we will know next week. We have other colors in this fabric, but have sold out of black, at the moment."

Quick Reply: Porsche "Signature" Cloth seat inserts