Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats do you have?
Porsche Factory Sport Seats
46.58%
Recaro
6.21%
Sparco
6.83%
MOMO
3.11%
Factory non-sport seats
37.27%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Sport Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Accepting reasonable offers............via PM or email.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:04 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

944 - regular leather 951-sport leather. The sport seats are a bit awkward to get into but they fit like a glove around you.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool thread- I've been wanting new seats since I've had my car- I have 8-way elec adj non-sports- cloth middles- Porsche script- I LOVE the cloth- I don't want leather anymore, for SEVERAL reasons- also like the look of the Porsche script... otherwise, however, my stock seats kind of suck- the lumbar is non-existent- I pulled the middle up & slid some thin rubber padding in there to try to help- it worked for awhile, but, those springs back in there seem to have conformed a little, so, I'm about to try to slide another thin piece- it's better than nothing...

Unfortunately, the weeights, fit, etc, for our factory seats, are VERY inconsistent- even for the EXACT SAME MODLES... For instance- I've sat in TWO other 944 driver seats that were EXACTLY like mine, only leather- for some reason, BOTH had a lot more lumbar than mine- still not much, but a lot more- not sure why- haven't found another cloth style factory 8-way to check out...

Also- people have said the 12-way elec adj HEATED Sport seats are the heaviest & I've heard people claim from 60 to >100lbs(!). I can only speak for one pair that I picked up in St Louis several years back at Garrity Repta's- they were from a 928GT & he wanted $3K for the pair- he, & several others told me that those seats, new, were >$3K EACH- the dealer had quoted me >$3000 ea for later style Boxster/996 seats.... Not sure where some of the prices on this thread are coming from, as someone said $3K/pr, etc- I don't think any Porsche seat would for that cheap new, but.... I MAY be wrong... Anyway, I picked up the Sport seats- Garrity had told me there was NO WAY they weighed >50lbs ea, &, I was expecting ~75lbs.... he was right- I did NOT weigh them, but, they FELT ~40lbs- lighter than any 8-way elec adj seat I've weighed & I've weighed several- ranging from 49lbs to ~52lbs- mwc951 said his was 55lbs- I believe that, although that is >10% heavier than another 8-way leather I had weighed, but, like I said, these things are VERY inconsistent, for some reason... I DID weigh a full manual leather seat @ 39lbs once, &, a 4-way elec adj one @ ~47lbs...

Anyway, the factory seats I've been in are shaped kind of funny- they are built for people w/wider midsections & narrower shoulders- I would LOVE a set of 12-way elec adj heated Sport seats, IF I could get some that weighed ~40lbs like the ones I had picked up, but, would probably NEVER ante-up the $ for them. The Momo Street RAcer's are what I'm looking at- I HAVE to have reclinable- they are listed @ 25lbs each, so, hopefully will save close to 50lbs for the pair- not sure about their comfort b/c there is no where I can sit in them before ordering.... I'm hoping someone here would give some input on them, but, so far, it looks like no one here has them to talk about...

Anyway, I just wanted to post some of this info to let people know to take some of the factory seat comments w/a grain of salt... they DO vary GREATLY... Not to mention the variance b/t people... if you don't care about the weight of the factory seats, then, it all just comes down to comfort I guess.... For some reason, many of the aftermarket seats don't list weights- that bugs me- MANY people go to aftermarket seats, in part, to save weight & many places advertise their seats as being lightweght- just like many wheel companies- I'm always scared that if they don't list it, then, theres possibly a reason...
Old 10-10-2004, 06:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be willing to bet that the difference in support you speak about can be attributed to wear. The stock non-sport seats that I removed from my car (and still have in storage) were almost perfect anh had very little wear. The felt more supportive than other 944 non-sport seats I sat in. The padding in the bolsters was not broken down in comparison. That has a big factor. The other thing I have noticed is that the vinyl on factory seats gets harder and more brittle with age and UV exposure.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Tifo- I would almost agree w/you, BUT, the passenger seat in my car, was JUST as bad as the driver- this is strange, as almost ALL passenger seats would be MUCH less worn- I could tell a dif in the seat bottom though, b/t the two, as the passenger seat felt much firmer- the lumbar just isn't there... one thing though- you mentioned the vinyl getting tougher w/age- well, that COULD have something to do w/the vinyl seats feeling more lumbar- might have been that they were just firmer in that area- the seats I sat in, both pairs, were at LEAST two years older than mine- the mileage on the cars were comparable... still... hard to sayv for sure.... mine feel much better w/extra padding stuffed in there- might not be the most professional way to go about it, but, it works for now....

Old 10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the heated leather factory sport seats, and love them. I am 5'10" 185lbs., so they fit me well. I removed them once to get the driver's side heat working again, and they are heavy. I did not weigh them, but 50-60 lbs is probably not far off. They are electric for front and rear height adjustment only. The only way to make them better would be for them to be totally manual and cloth. Light is right!
They have Keiper/Recaro stickers all over the underside.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cruise98
I have the heated leather factory sport seats, and love them. I am 5'10" 185lbs., so they fit me well. I removed them once to get the driver's side heat working again, and they are heavy. I did not weigh them, but 50-60 lbs is probably not far off. They are electric for front and rear height adjustment only. The only way to make them better would be for them to be totally manual and cloth. Light is right!
They have Keiper/Recaro stickers all over the underside.

VERY interesting... are your's the 12-wat elec adj ones? The ones I picekd up in St Louis, WERE out of a 928GT or GTS, but, I doubt if THAT matters- I know those cas are much heavier than OURS, so, I doubt if they made the seats any dif for them- anyway, the ones I picked up for weight setimatre were on a shelf slightly above my head height- I pulled ONE of them off & held it for a second. Garrrity said that ALL of the motors & electric heat eleent, etc, were ALL in the seat itwself, intact- I did NOT check, however- I wish I had AND I wish I had taken the time to weigh them on a scale- all I know it, I jhave lifted weights for years & am usually pretty good at estimating what things (women, etc) weigh ;-) AT that time, hoever, I was not exactly as strong as usual- had been back into lifting weights for about one month, after having been out for SEVERAL, so, was NOT at full strength, AND, th e seat REALLY did NOT feel any heavier than 40lbs- 45lbs TOPS. Also, Garrity had said he thought they were under 40lbs.... I DO believe you, however, when you say your's are 50-60, based on some of the other seat descrepancies I've seen. It's just weird... Would LOVE to have the set of SPORT seats that I picked up that day though- otherwise, IF I ever buy some, I'll have to make them be weighed first... ;-) BTW- I agree that cloth seats are nice for driving purposes.... also, would rather have full manaul if it saved a few pounds- the 12-way is cool though. as it has lumbar adj... that's cool. heated option is REALLY cool, &, I doubt it adds as much weight as one of the electric motors... it's nice to have when you have cold GF's, etc.. ;-)

Robby
Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no idea of the heater wattage, whatever is stock. The switches and relays for the seats are 928 part numbers.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith- I was just wondering how many ways' of adjustment you had? Like 4-way, 8-way, or, 12-way, etc.... how many directional arrows are there on the side of each seat- should be at LEAST two circles, or, blanks for circles (IF full manua)- the ones w/lumbar adjumstment have 3 circles & are usually 4-way on each one, so, 12-way elec adj.... the heater switch is seperate from these...

Quick Reply: Sport Seats?