Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LED headlight experience. with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My LED headlight experience. with pics.

I just installed one of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/al...-0203500p.html because the store only had one in stock. Not fully sold, maybe i'm expecting too much? I seem to think the hid's in my bmw and vw are same or better? They have a good colour and cutoff with a nice flare up to the right like the old h4 hellas (like an "E code" light? DOT and E are stamped on the lens), I was just expecting brighter. Night shots seen online are tough because cameras don't see the same as our eyes I took a few with my phone anyway. I tried to "meter" the frame in the same spot for better comparison... Install was a breeze. Should I order another one or return it and look for something better?

Right side only low beam halogen

Low beam left side only LED

Low beam only LED on left halogen on right

Low beam with fog lamps

High beam

Looking at lights above cutoff

Looking at lights below cutoff

Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 PM
NRath
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a spectacular improvement!

As a Jeep owner, I did a ton a lighting research a year or so ago. JW SPeaker was the hands down lighting leader, but they are silly expensive and are odd looking when not lit. I concluded Truklite's are the way to go for me. But, I don't recall seeing those Alpena's in any of the comparison's or reviews at the time. The Truklite's provided a substantial improvement almost as good as JW's but also have a little more traditional look than the Alpena's or JW's. Cost is slightly cheaper than those Alpena's if you scoop up the 2-fer deal on Amazon at like 320.

Amazon Amazon

I have a buddy that has them and the light output is pretty amazing, especially compared to used stockers. We'll be putting a pair in in the near future. Doesn't look like you'd be going wrong with the Alpena's either, though. Then have to sort out something for the floods as I want the color to match the headlights.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:05 PM
NRath
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny that the forum automatically replaced my link to the Truklite's with the Amazon logo in my previous post.

That straight on pic in Amazon isn't a great representation of what the lights look like in person- maybe search for a few other pics if you're interested.

Quick Reply: My LED headlight experience. with pics.