Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making New Users Understand

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

JohnnyBgood...

there was also a post regarding those as well.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:57 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its a great idea,
but can someone pls tell me how I can convert my NA to a turbo
Old 01-16-2004, 09:27 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
OMG - look HERE.

http://www.rennlist.org/944values/968FAQ.htm
How did you get there? I've been browsing Rennlist for a year and I've never seen that site -- though I've come across Kevin Gross's FAQ before via Google. I doubt that a newbie would find it either -- if I click on 'faq' at the top, I get bunch of information about how to post. So I'd think that a newbie, would therefore, post.

IMHO, I think all we need to do is update the link to it (or make sure there is one) and maybe get Kevin Gross to update the information (if he's still interested in maintaining the list -- otherwise we need a new volunteer).
Old 01-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys are missing one very important point: Newbies are going to continue to ask these questions because they are newbies. There ain't no getting around it. 6 years ago I was asking those same questions, and 6 years ago I found the answers here, on RennList.

We all talk a good fight. We'll go on for days and days about how much we love our cars, why our cars are so dependable, why this tire is better than that one, or how much boost we run, but if we're not willing to share with those who are new to Porsche, then all of that talk means nothing and we might as well be driving Hondas.

We've all heard the adage that there is no such thing as a dumb question, and I for one firmly believe that the only dumb question is on that never gets asked.

As Porsche owners and RennList members we have a unique opportunity to preserve and pass on to others an incredible legacy, so next time you see a thread from a new member, jump right in and help them out.

So what if they're asking about getting more power from an NA. Be polite and give then the answer. There's no need to look down your nose and say things like "Oh no, not another one," or 'Get a Turbo Stupid," just answer the question and gently point them in the right direction.

Be a guide and not a stumbling block.

Peace.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rennlist History 101:

Before these forums came about, this was the main Rennlist site:

https://rennlist.com/

Look under "Tech Areas" and you'll see FAQ sites for every "list" in the Rennlist community. These used to include the now classic 924/944 FAQ, but are now limited to 944 related tech articles. Not sure why there's no longer a link to the classic FAQ there. John D?

The 924/944 FAQ were put together by Kevin Gross with collaboration from "heavy hitters" in the 944 world like George B. and several other knowledgeable contributors to the E-Mail lists and were linked to Rennlist as long as I can remember. The FAQ can still be accessed here:

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq01.html

I check both Rennlist sites regularly, but it's understandable that the "forum folks" never got around to becoming familiar with the main site, hence the abundance of "FAQ" type questions.

Personally, I enjoy responding to newbie questions because like has been said, I think it's what these forums are all about. However, it's nice for people to have access to a FAQ providing they know it exists!

Last edited by Luis de Prat; 01-16-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by josephsc
How did you get there? I've been browsing Rennlist for a year and I've never seen that site -- though I've come across Kevin Gross's FAQ before via Google. I doubt that a newbie would find it either -- if I click on 'faq' at the top, I get bunch of information about how to post. So I'd think that a newbie, would therefore, post.

IMHO, I think all we need to do is update the link to it (or make sure there is one) and maybe get Kevin Gross to update the information (if he's still interested in maintaining the list -- otherwise we need a new volunteer).
in fact I found a very secret place in Rennlist,
its is very easy to find, it gives you the answers to
1> life
2> how to pull women
3> how to last more than 30 seconds
4> how to keep women (see 3)

I cant tell you where, as the thruput to the site would be phenomnal, but heres a clue

what is Pi, what is a P.I and pick you own nose. ?????

that will point you to the link

c u there
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Luis, I agree with you 100%. Even as a newbie, I enjoy helping people out -- it's one way of giving back to the community that's help me out so much. But at the same, there are good reasons for having a FAQ, and frankly the Rennlist FAQ is hard to find. Adrian, I'm still can't find your secret place.

IMHO, I don't think the link to the FAQ belongs in the tech area - but on the forum under 'faq' (the lack of a link to the classic FAQ has to get fixed, too). Since we're at it, I personally think we could also use a list of links (like the one on Karl Glynn's website). But in general, if people feel like there too many strangers are asking for directions on the street, it just means we could use a few more signs to point the way (but not too many).
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK joseph, I found the link. The classic 924/944FAQ are still linked to Rennlist, only to the Forums Home Page. Cick on the link at top left of this screen or go here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/index.html

With the forums getting the most Internet traffic, it's understandable that John D put the 924/944 FAQ link on the Forums Home Page.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:35 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Oh there it is! So I guess John D did put it in the right place. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Making New Users Understand