Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making New Users Understand

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know how you guys came into this site, but what I did was look over all the forums and went though them just reading up. (This is BEFORE I bought my car too) That way I don't ask the same dumb questions. Not only that, but before I post any topic of any kind I first go to the search and do many searches for it to see if it has been covered. That is the way I get around not post that my different topics. I love this site and has been useful and just fun.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I some how think Rob isn't suggesting a FAQ but a note to all with the specific question on HP. i feel it would do great benefit to those who have not made a purchase of a 944 na car. Many buy the car thinking it is fast because it is a Porsche then later discover that the 951 etc is the route to go. Knowing before the purchase may make them re think.
The ever constant question on turbo conversion is where I think Rob is refering to and if a "sticky" on the forum is available to state the facts on this issue. May help to avoid future quarrels and negative posts.
Dal
Old 01-15-2004, 08:34 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Once again this is not about the search function; it’s just trying to get information in one place to help. Plus if the person is not registered they can’t use the search function any ways. This is in all purpose for the new or not registered users who are not familiar with the board. I mean with this response it is like I am trying to close the rennlist to all new users. I just was trying to think of something that I and others could contribute to help the new people feel more welcome in no way was this post started to make new users feel inferior and I am sorry if the tone came off that way it was just an idea that I though would be a nice project for the board,not and idea that I had to defend .
Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by epbrown01
I'm shopping for a 928 and didn't find their offensive. It really did cover a lot of my questions, along with some searches. I think every board should have some sort of FAQ. At the very least, the upgrade issue should be covered.

Emanuel
I agree with you. For new users, the FAQ thread is very useful to get them on the same page as the rest of us.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:05 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

If you would have used the search function you would have known that this has been discussed at length before.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

i kinda had this idea last week...*cough*

here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=108013
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Well it seems in all the other posts everyone goes off topic. I mean if people started typing what they know instead of debating if it is a good idea or not, in a few days would we could have something very nice. I don’t know why people go off and make these things bad when they don’t have to be I mean common it’s a simple section with information ( NOT A HUGE FAQ JUST SOME OF THE BASICS)its not life or death if it does not work it can be erased later.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

1. something regarding supercharging/turbocharging/nitrousifying a 944 NA (buy a 951)
2. change your timing belts & water pump every 30k miles to be safe
3. use the search function (for example there are plenty of threads on driving music out there, all very recent)
4. i say everyone starts adding some things and see what happens
Old 01-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG - look HERE.

http://www.rennlist.org/944values/968FAQ.htm
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

i've been here a couple of months and I could use a glossary or definitions of acronyms. I got Pain in the *** PITA, wtf, Porsche Service Manual PSM, and some car related ones, ISV TPS blah blah blah.

But IMHO???, IIRC??? I mean really, wtf is that stuff?

Fire Away!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:54 PM
RobbyK
Pro

I have seen that before and that is not what I was thinking I was thinking more short and too the point NOT A FAQ juss little helpful facts.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Robby, it is broken down in segments, I just dont know how much easier you want to make it. Like reinventing the wheel only square?

Jonny B - IMHO - In My humble opinion
IIRC - If I recall/remember correctly

I belong to a lot of forums and they all use that type of FAQ (kind of internet standard and that one is DAMN good). I guess I dont understand what you are asking people to put together. Maybe you could give and example like this:

Q) How do I make my NA faster
A) Buy a Turbo :>)

Even that is covered in the FAQ under performance. Maybe it needs to be added to but why reinvent it?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:58 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the double post but This goes both ways. Last night I asked a specific question of whether anybody had any feedback on a Europroducts chip for sale on eBay. The sellers feedback had several 944S people who had bought one. I already know the debate that continues and so I asked my question very specifically. I got responses going into debating and chips only work on 951s and so on. So my point is that some people might like to blabber about what they know when it really is not asked for.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:01 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Matt H
Jonny B - IMHO - In My humble opinion
IIRC - If I recall/remember correctly
Thanks Matt
Old 01-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I agree with you, sometimes the reason to reask the question is because you might get a different answer. I find that perfectly acceptable, you can ignore what you dont like.

I also dont mind an FAQ, the problem is the name, FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. There are only so many questions that can be asked so they are all asked frequently around here :>)

I think the issue is, there is no simple answer for all of those questions. What I dont really know is what Robby wants to see.

Quick Reply: Making New Users Understand