Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter starting tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running the 1000cca in the truck, i think there is a 750 in the porsche right now. I am pretty sure the battery from my truck would fit in the porsche with no modification. They are pretty similar in size. A nissan isnt exactly a big truck
Old 01-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how pushing the clutch in puts a thrust load on the crank in a 944. In the 944, the clutch doesn't work like that in a normal car (what a surprise). Since the 944's clutch fork pivots, the release bearing actually gets pulled away from the engine when you push the clutch in. It doesn't get pushed toward the engine like most cars. So instead of tending to push the crankshaft forward, it would tend to pull it backwards. Which is a thrust load too I guess. Ok, I see it now.

Bryan
Old 01-16-2004, 08:25 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back to the original post, if your starter whines and the engine doesn't move, the problem is that the lubrication on the starter gear is solid, so the starter can't throw it into engage position. Clean the spiral shaft & gear and use new lightweight lubricant - you may not need anything else.

....can't agree with this diagnosis. No lubrication is necessary due to the fact that the starter drive had an oilite bushing in it, also known as self-lubricating. 90% of the time, whizzing in cold weather is caused by the grease inside the clutch of the starter drive congealing into a hardened mess. The other possibility is that grease that everybody puts on the solenoid plunger (that shouldn't be there) has hardened up. Twenty eight years in the starter-alternator rebuilding business says one of these two scenarios is the culprit.

If you want an easy way to tell if the starter drive clutch is bad, remove the starter and put it some place room temperature. Take your thumb and try to turn the gear (gear only). If it spins with no resistance, a drive replacement is in order.

Doug
(shhhh....I have a rebuilt starter and an alternator in stock and I also sell repair parts)

Quick Reply: Winter starting tips?