Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter feels funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter feels funny

lately my car has been grinding when going into second. i thought it was the cold weather, and the gooey trans oil. but i realized today that my shifter doesnt automatically snap back to the center anymore. it seems to feel like it goes into second, then its in neutral. pull back again and it grinds. the third gear is already out. when i told a friend whos a usa car mechanic, he said his wifes saturn does this..... its a shifter problem with third, not chipped gears like i previously thought. any thoughts? anything typical that goes wrong with the shifter? would a short shifter replace what is possibly broken/missing, and correct the problem?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:53 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

separated clutch disk is possible. I've run into this a few times. See,s when the disk starts to separate, it puts constant drag on the pressure plate, this keeps the tranny spinning just slightly, but slow enough to "kinda shift". Just somewhere to start looking. Also, check to see that your shifter linkage on the top of the transaxel is still bolted firmly to the shift rod. Sometimes when clutch jobs are done, the mechanic will not saftey wire the 13mm hex bolt that holds the assembly together.

Take Care,
Old 01-14-2004, 01:29 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yes because th e clutch was just done about 5000-10000 miles ago, ill check it out. thanks a million
Old 01-15-2004, 01:10 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok i seem to get it now, it feels like im trying to put it in the rearward gears, but like the body or shifter opening is possibly blocking the shifter from moving far enough back. so i think it is something falling off of the shifter rods. ill need to check it out tommorow. i hope itll get me to work
Old 01-15-2004, 10:03 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well the problem was: no loctite from previous clutchjob. the 10 mm "set screw" backed out, so the cast iron arm was slowly slipping off. drove from work, didnt get all the way to my garage....................instead, 1 mile away, the car slowed and stayed in neutral>>>>>>in a 4 lane! so i had to pay to have it towed and fixed the simple problem.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:30 PM
1990s2cabrio
Cruisin'

WOW - I just had my clutch done, about 1500 miles ago. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that getting into second is getting a little funky. I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 11:52 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yes please do i had to pay 65 for a 1 mile tow. easy fix. just frickin cold in ohio. took maybe 2 hours cause i had to keep stopping to get warm. my svo is in the garage so i had to work OUTSIDE.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, my tranny did somethin too.. but i guess its different than your problem. i think its just the cold and a not perfect tranny. for the first minute or two of driving in below freezing temps, the shift to second, and downshifting to first while rolling is a little stubborn. Am I probably right on my assumption?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:51 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well, after i fixed the "shifter", my car is still doing that too. so i think that is just age and yes the cold weather. i think someone on here told me there arent any synchros in 944 trans..........................doesnt make any sense to me. but i think it would suggest they are wearing. but if there arent any.......i dont know.

Quick Reply: shifter feels funny