Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex joint between the header and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:32 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Flex joint between the header and exhaust?

For those of you using aftermarket headers on the 944 NA or 968: have any of you had a flex pipe added between the headers and exhaust system? I see many vendors building their headers with a slip fit joint which seems to work fine with no leaks (their words), but I prefer flange and bolt connections. Would a quality stainless flex pipe welded in between those components serve to minimize chances of cracks developing? Please post pictures or links to what you've tried. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 01:58 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a Stahl long tube header on my race car and i have a stainless flex pipe welded in on the section after the header collector, yes it does help in reducing cracks.
My exaust is all stainless straight through , no muffler ...

Sorry i can't post a picture , my engine is out and i'm currently building another one !
Old 07-10-2018, 03:19 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If stainless is welded correctly and purged during the process it should be fine, otherwise weld joints can be brittle and compromised from the get go.

In automotive world in general, flex joints first appeared in FWD cars where the engine is mounted transversely and since the exhaust runs down the car to the rear at 90 deg to their outlets, engine torque puts more direct stress than a longitudinally mounted engine like in the 944.

T
Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks guys. I may go with the bellows rather than a flex joint. BTW - the flex joint doesn’t look like a solid piece, but more like a mesh, so how does it not leak gases?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Thanks guys. I may go with the bellows rather than a flex joint. BTW - the flex joint doesn’t look like a solid piece, but more like a mesh, so how does it not leak gases?
inside that mesh is a bellows.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i had my dansk exhaust two times almost left on road, dragging it along , welded flex pipe in the middle and no problems this far. what a noise this 3L makes without exhaust, wakes all the neighbourhood.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Forgot to mention ... my exhaust slips onto the header collector and is held in place with springs , not with solid flanges !
Even the half "ast " exaust system that came with the car had a flex in it, although it looked like it was welded in by a blind person ...
Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Forgot to mention ... my exhaust slips onto the header collector and is held in place with springs , not with solid flanges !
Even the half "ast " exaust system that came with the car had a flex in it, although it looked like it was welded in by a blind person ...
LOLZ, once at Sebring a few years ago, a guy that travels with us from home and paddocked next to us had his RE header crack with the 1.5 hr enduro left to go.
One of my other friends had a mig welder in his motor home cabinet but no helmet. Couldn't bum one anywhere and he barely had enough time to get it back on as it was.

I found a spot peaceful all by myself and welded 2 6 inch cracks with my eyes closed checking after every 1 inch of stitching.

Didn't look all that bad to be honest.

Made it in time and he finished the enduro.

A month or two later we are unloading somewhere else, making small talk he says "I hope that header holds up"

I'm like dude, that was a temp fix....., you didn't replace the header yet....?

RL'er too....name withheld to protect the guilty.

T
Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Welll ... at Mosport a few years back during a PCA weekend , some poor guy with a 996 GT3 was frantically looking for a welder at the track because his exaust system had cracked like an egg, when he came to my trailer i mentioned i knew how to weld , so to make a story short , the guy headed to Bowmanville first thing the next morning and bought a mig welder at Canadian Tire and was waiting for me with his car parked in front of my trailer when i got off my morning practice session ... i welded up his exaust and he made it through the weekend !
I now carry my own little Lincoln Mig 180 in my trailer at all my events.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Welll ... at Mosport a few years back during a PCA weekend , some poor guy with a 996 GT3 was frantically looking for a welder at the track because his exaust system had cracked like an egg, when he came to my trailer i mentioned i knew how to weld , so to make a story short , the guy headed to Bowmanville first thing the next morning and bought a mig welder at Canadian Tire and was waiting for me with his car parked in front of my trailer when i got off my morning practice session ... i welded up his exaust and he made it through the weekend !
I now carry my own little Lincoln Mig 180 in my trailer at all my events.
You know as well as I do then that the best stories come from the track.
Some people here kinda hint sometimes as if "dude, everything isn't about racing"
But if you race, it sure as hell is.

Just a month or two ago at Barber, a special pipe from muffler to turn down cracked right at the muffler's factory weld.
Went down the hill to one of the biggest teams.
They push a guy forward and say he's the best welder they have.
I can already tell by his setting up......, I don't think so.
I tell him, "man I have used that same machine before, I can weld it if you are tied up"
"Nah, nah, I got this"
Umh, ok, well, he couldn't get a mig run longer than 2 seconds and kept acting like it was the machine.
My son is standing there and I mouth - "This guy aint no d@mned welder"
HE's shaking his head like "ssshhh, don't say anything..."

T
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a long tube header and stainless exhaust on my S, no flex joint. It's held together with V-band clamps. No cracking after a couple years of street use; I haven't tracked the car though so I don't know if that matters.

My view is that the exhaust is bolted to the engine and hung from the torque tube for the most part (except the very rear mounting), so it more or less can just move with the powertrain. I bought a flex joint when I was picking out materials for the exhaust system but ended up leaving it out for that reason (and I needed the space for a catalytic converter anyway).
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I added a stainless 6" flex joint to my exhaust when replacing the stock cat. I have the factory exhaust manifolds but it helped a ton by adding some flexibility in routing the piping. My stock setup had a steep upward tilt that caused it to make contact with the rear sway bar. I also haven't tracked the car, but very happy with it and no issues at all.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 108 Posts

We just replaced the flex pipes in my Cayenne's exhaust, which had broken on both sides. This is a common failure. My conclusion based on this fun experience is that unless you have a problem needing solving with your stock exhaust, stick with it. The flex pipes just add a relatively weak component that can fail. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Flex coupling

Pictures of my flex joint, with v-band welded to one side. The other end of the v-band is welded to my header.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:43 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
For those of you using aftermarket headers on the 944 NA or 968: have any of you had a flex pipe added between the headers and exhaust system? I see many vendors building their headers with a slip fit joint which seems to work fine with no leaks (their words), but I prefer flange and bolt connections. Would a quality stainless flex pipe welded in between those components serve to minimize chances of cracks developing? Please post pictures or links to what you've tried. Thanks!
Sorry, I missed your posting. Better late than never. Here is my solution. Works fine!
Here is a link for further information --> catalogue.jpgroup.dk/pdf/Flexpipes.pdf

Quick Reply: Flex joint between the header and exhaust?