Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balance shaft belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question balance shaft belt

does anyone know how much tension should be on this, cold/hot

and how to check this (without the right tool)
i.e. can I measure the free play, similiar like an alternator belt.

cheers
Old 01-10-2004, 11:37 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I'm not a big fan of winging your belt adjustments, for the same reason I'm not a big fan of Russian Roulette.

There are some places you can be cheap. Belts are not one of them. Spend the money and have it done right. If the joy of owning and driving one of these fine cars is not worth this small price, then you have the wrong car! No offense intended
Old 01-10-2004, 03:14 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is no other way, put it on and adjust until you have around 3/8" to 1/2" of deflection at the longest span. Then drive it gingerly to someone with a tool to properly tension it.

Disclaimer:
The above is only an off the cuff suggestion, I in no way claim any responsibility for any damage that may incur or any kittens that may be killed, I will have a team of lawyers standing by and will deny all knowledge of this post, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Seriously if you don't want to take a chance, have it towed to a reputable mech. who has done this before.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:35 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

fellas, I know the score, I'm not a newbie !
I know about belts, snapping and interference engines and sheet loads of bucks !

I have a relevant reason for asking the question.

The Bal.beltt was supposed to have been checked, but I still think its loose. that is to say that when cold (and to a certain extent when hot) the belt appears to "flap" around for want of a better term.

there is some drive train noise from the front area but that can be coming from anywhere, on gentle reving, the "wavering" is not too bad", on simulating, quick rev's, the belt wavers more.

There is no noises as to slipping and the timing belt seems ok anyway.

it went in for a service with this also to check, as I got it home I noticed that the noise was not cured, so I pulled the cover off to check if the belt looed klike it was slapping around !

This was done by a main dealer (when in for a service) and as I complained this along with the posibility of about snapping belts, the manager had the technician in who confirmed he had done it.

I'm taking the car in a few weeks to check it out, as I'd already complained to PCGB (whoes right next to the dealership concerned) and Porsche customer servcies in Stuttgart, as I've had several, lets say for the time being problems with communications/customer service and stuff not being doen (after I've checked afterwards)

so I dont want them to run me a line, without me going in with some proper facts

so thats why I'm asking, as I dont have the tool, can I tell if

1> the belt is tensioned correclty, ie the 1/2" deflection as suggested by pete
2> a guy on "pelican" suggested that you should be able to turn the belt through 90deg at iots longest span when engine cold

I'm not taking a chance, which is why I'm asking,
thankxs in advance for any input on the questions asked

cheers

Ade
Old 01-10-2004, 04:16 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Adrian;

I was a skeptic when I first got into this stuff many moons ago, but I was not so bold as to dismiss the tool outright and did buy one when I (quickly) got disgusted with the local dealer. I decided at one point that every time I did a belt job, I would test my skill against the gauge. I would set the belts by feel, then get out the 9201 to see how I did. I was dead nuts... some of the time. Other times despite my best effort, I was not so close, which surprised and made a believer out of me.

For this reason, I reject any sort of deflection or twist parameters anyone might care to offer. I have proven to myself that you just can't trust that sort of adjustment to the seat of your pants.

Now, the balance belt does seem loose in proper fettle. It will indeed appear to "flap around" a bit compared to the cam belt. If you hear a whining or "zizzing" sound in conjunction with revs, this suggests to me that the balance belt idler roller is properly adjusted. If the belt is loose, or this roller not adjusted properly, you won't get the "zizz."

If you feel unsure, ask the service rep if you could watch the technician perform a tension check. They should allow you to do this, and then you would be properly informed as to where you are at.

Quick Reply: balance shaft belt