Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SELLING - Need Some Help Finding A Value On My ‘89 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:10 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SELLING - Need Some Help Finding A Value On My ‘89 Turbo

I’ve been out of the game so long I really don’t know what my car is worth anymore. Prices are crazy these days.

Where can I find recent sales histories for my car?

Any input or price recommendations would be helpful as this is the most active 944 board on the net!

THE SKINNY
- 3rd Owner, I’ve owned since 7/2002
- 77k miles (63k when I bought it)
- Garage Queen, never tracked/raced etc.
- 9.5/10 Overall
- Guards Red/Black Leather, LSD
- Bone stock engine, suspension etc. with exception of C2 Turbo rims & Alpine replacement head unit (I have original cassette/EQ)
- Documented history since new
- 2005 944Fest “Best Stock Turbo” Winner
- Everything works, No Oil Leaks
- Bridgestone S-03’s with about 5k on them
- UP TO DATE Timing Belt, Recent Motor Mounts and a recent complete go through to get ready for sale

Im obsessive about keeping the car perfect and the older it gets the more money it takes to keep it perfect and it’s time to let her go to someone who will drive it more.

I literally have hundreds of pics but this is what I have on my iPad at the moment. Search for posts I’ve made on this board over the years if you want more.
Thanks In Advance for All Your Input Fellas!

944Fest 2005 (Thanks for the pic Scully)

944Fest 2005

944Fest ‘06??? Swifty’s place

Nice angle of my brother’s ‘87 Cab infront Of mine

SW MI GTG ‘06???

SW MI GTG ‘06???

Last edited by GOBOGIE; 07-03-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:00 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

What a car, great guy as well. Corey, I see a lot of the high end cars such as yours on the PCA website asking mid 20's. If you want exposure there and are not in the PCA, let me know!
She sure is pretty!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:19 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Bring A Trailer has a graph function when you use the search. It shows all the cars of that make/model that have sold on the site, plotted by date and price. Similar cars to yours usually sell in the high teens, and occasionally break $20k when they have fewer than 50k miles. That's an auction site, and it doesn't seem to bring the highest price (I'm sort of curious as to why anyone uses it, given that cars often sell there way under value). There is a similar car to yours for sale by a dealer asking $30k, but it has half the miles, while another dealer is offering an S with 16k miles for $60k (ambitious by about $20k if you ask me). I think if you wanted a quick sale, $17.5k, and if you're willing to wait for the market to catch up (which it will), $20.5k.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:48 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Imo the MY89 turbo is the pinicle of the 951’s in the US, absolute best one to have due to all the carried over performance parts from the turboS and other enhancements. I’d be asking $20-25k for a well maintained stock car with that mileage, it’s a great car glws.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Having seen this car a few times it really is a fantastic condition stock example. Id list it in the PCA classifieds, the mileage being 77k is the only kicker as its more than any collector would want but I doubt you could find a nicer driver mileage car anywhere. List it around 25k, I bet you get really close to that number...or better yet just keep it, prices are only going to keep going up.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would second looking at bring a trailer, a car like this would definitely demand in the $20k range. Great car and good luck, looks like a beauty.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys, especially Dan & Sammie! Been a long time you two! Too long

Appreciate very much the input. I literally had no clue. Thanks for giving me a starting point!

I am a PCA member so my plan is to start there along with the Rennlist classifieds.

Many Thanks,
Cory
Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Cory,

You need to bring it to the Fest - one last time.

I promise none of this....

Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Cory,

You need to bring it to the Fest - one last time.

I promise none of this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3j653pIoXo

Well if your not going to slap my head, why else would I come?

Its OK Scott - I know you think my head is sexy and I’m OK with that!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE

Well if your not going to slap my head, why else would I come?

Its OK Scott - I know you think my head is sexy and I’m OK with that!
You see right through me.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Bring A Trailer has a graph function when you use the search. It shows all the cars of that make/model that have sold on the site, plotted by date and price. Similar cars to yours usually sell in the high teens, and occasionally break $20k when they have fewer than 50k miles. That's an auction site, and it doesn't seem to bring the highest price (I'm sort of curious as to why anyone uses it, given that cars often sell there way under value). There is a similar car to yours for sale by a dealer asking $30k, but it has half the miles, while another dealer is offering an S with 16k miles for $60k (ambitious by about $20k if you ask me). I think if you wanted a quick sale, $17.5k, and if you're willing to wait for the market to catch up (which it will), $20.5k.
Really? Having used bring a trailer numerous times, it is a sellers dream and buyers typically overpay slightly higher than market. It is also nice because you can't bid on a car unless you have a credit card on file with them. Once the auction closes, they immediately hit the buyer's card for the buyers fee. This keeps away dead beat bidders who win auctions then disappear as with Ebay. Guys are less likely to walk away from a car they won if they have already paid 500-1000 in fees or more. That is a great site to sell a car, but you have to be active in responding to questions and such which are posted in the thread.

I haven't watched too closely, but I'd say with the miles and condition, the PO's car it should be a $25k car. I think a turbo S with slightly less miles went earlier this year for mid 30's IIRC.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Really? Having used bring a trailer numerous times, it is a sellers dream and buyers typically overpay slightly higher than market. It is also nice because you can't bid on a car unless you have a credit card on file with them. Once the auction closes, they immediately hit the buyer's card for the buyers fee. This keeps away dead beat bidders who win auctions then disappear as with Ebay. Guys are less likely to walk away from a car they won if they have already paid 500-1000 in fees or more. That is a great site to sell a car, but you have to be active in responding to questions and such which are posted in the thread.

I haven't watched too closely, but I'd say with the miles and condition, the PO's car it should be a $25k car. I think a turbo S with slightly less miles went earlier this year for mid 30's IIRC.
From what I've seen on BaT (and I spend time on it nearly everyday), cars regularly get "stolen" (sold well under value) frequently. Not always, but frequently, and I would never sell no reserve on that site. If I had to guess, the site just doesn't have the traffic to make for really competitive auctions. But you're right - the buyers are much more dependable.

As for a $30k+ Turbo S with more than 50k miles, I've never seen that happen, and there's no example of it happening on the BaT graph: https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/944-turbo/
As the graph shows, even cars with less than 50k miles haven't regularly broken the $25k mark, with most cars clustering around the $20k range (a 43k mile '88 Turbo just sold last month for $19k - an example of what I'd call "stolen" and the reason I wouldn't use BaT).
Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
...a 43k mile '88 Turbo just sold last month for $19k - an example of what I'd call "stolen" ...
“Stolen” I think that is a fair price for an 88 Turbo, don’t forget an 89 951 is on a totally different scale to a 88 951.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Appreciate all of the input
Old 07-18-2018, 04:09 AM
Chalt
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't realize BaT let some go for good prices! Thanks for sharing the link and graph.

Quick Reply: SELLING - Need Some Help Finding A Value On My ‘89 Turbo