Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked the batwing - best adhesive to make the repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 09:38 AM
DrewM
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

You’ll want to use a plastic stapler to give it some rigidity, and then fill it however you like. Something like this - https://amzn.to/3ybHLOn - I bet Harbor Freight has something similar.
The following users liked this post:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (07-02-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 02:58 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I repaired one once using fiberglass fabric with JB Weld in place of the resin. Held up pretty well until the car got totaled.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:28 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I can attest to having tried everything listed above except for the stapler. All eventually fail, and in the end zip-tie stitching is really the only thing that lasts. My best guess is that the batwing vibrates and flexes a lot at speed.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:15 AM
Jaffar
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the batwing is manufactured from ABS, which I think would be the case, you can repair by "welding" it together using a large soldering iron and a further scap peice of ABS as the "welding stick".

Make sure that the edges are clean, the area to be repaired is firmly held together to stop it from moving as you heat it and it gets soft and that the soldering iron is large enough to maintain temp at the close to melting point of the ABS. It is a bit of a cross between welding and soldering and not that difficult. Work from the inside and have the outside on a clean surface so it does not pick up dirt while soft. For extra strength you can weld a strip of ABS behind the crack on the inside of the piece.

Experiment with scaps until you get the technique down pat and have fun. I have done this on quite a few ABS repairs and construction projects.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:29 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaffar
If the batwing is manufactured from ABS, which I think would be the case, you can repair by "welding" it together using a large soldering iron and a further scap peice of ABS as the "welding stick".

Make sure that the edges are clean, the area to be repaired is firmly held together to stop it from moving as you heat it and it gets soft and that the soldering iron is large enough to maintain temp at the close to melting point of the ABS. It is a bit of a cross between welding and soldering and not that difficult. Work from the inside and have the outside on a clean surface so it does not pick up dirt while soft. For extra strength you can weld a strip of ABS behind the crack on the inside of the piece.

Experiment with scaps until you get the technique down pat and have fun. I have done this on quite a few ABS repairs and construction projects.
Nope, it's defintely not. It burns and doesn't melt. I have used a riveted strap backed up by a plastic bonding 2-pack like jb weld. Works well on the race car.

Quick Reply: Cracked the batwing - best adhesive to make the repair?