Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Question for the door handle experts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:29 PM
munk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Question for the door handle experts...

Background: I recently replaced my broken driver's side '86 944 exterior door handle(latch snapped off) with a like new new handle from parts heaven. With the new handle in, when I open the door, it only requires me to squeeze the handle 1/2 an inch to open it; no big deal, but different from squeezing it all the way. I tested the central locking feature, pulling the lock **** up and down manually and unlocking it from the outside; all worked fine. My problem was trigured after I started opening and closing my door regularly.

Heres my problem:
When my driver's side door is in the locked position it is very hard to get it unlocked. When I hit the central unlocking feature, the **** does not go up all the way. I have to keep hitting the central unlocking feature to unlock the door,while pulling up on the **** with my hand. Once I get the **** to a certain height, I pull my inside door handle, while still pulling up on the ****. The **** pulls down 1cm and then I pull the inside handle again. The door then opens. Does anyone have any idea what the source of my problem is? Also, I was trying to get the plastic part of the actuator arm off of the metal **** by prying with a screw driver. Is it a possibility I could have bent something inside the door, while trying to pry the arm off? PLEASE HELP!
/\/\unk
Old 01-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had similar problem with aftermarket locks. This advice may not be applicable to OE locks but you might want to try adjusting the actuator connection point; Try moving the connection point of the actuator up/down a bit on the lock mechanism.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 PM
munk
Track Day

I failed to mention this:
when first installing the actuator arm, I kept it at the length that I pulled it out with; it was set to almost its longest length. Then I installed the handle. Now, the latch for the exterior handle was completely taught and pulling on the latch the slightest bit would release the door. So I pulled the actuator arm off again, and made the actuator arm the smallest it could be. Then I installed the handle again and now I am able to squeeze a 1/2 an inch on the latch before the door releases. HELP!
/\/\unk

Quick Reply: HELP: Question for the door handle experts...