Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Method to tell torsion bar dia. while still in car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
NeilW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To calculate the diameter could you not just wrap a piece of string around the bar, make a pen mark across both end of the string where they cross, remove string from car, measure distance between pen marks and divide by Pi (3.14ish)?

Neil
Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default rates

Charlie,
Did you read my method? If you have race scales, it's easy. First, if your arms are approximately parallel, the error is smaller than the differences between the rates of the bars.

Put the car on the scales.
Note the weight on each rear wheel.
Measure from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well.
Raise the rear of the car until the measurement increases 1 inch.
Note the weight on each rear wheel.
Simple math: subtract the second weight from the first, this is the wheel rate of the torsion bar.
Consult the chart at Paragon. If it's 220lbs for example, you have 27mm torsion bars. 26 is 189, 28 is 254, hopefully your error is less than the difference between bars.

Measuring
Old 01-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Charlie944
Adam, sounds like a good method, I have access to a set of scales for racing to figure out the weight and acheiving full droop can be done. I guess what I can do is compare my result and match up a torsion bar rating that has been confiugured to how a coil spring rating is measured for ex: X amount of pounds moved it one inch...BUT that is a linear compression....the spring is roughly square to the movement. A torsion bar has a mechanical leverage acting on being the rear spring arm...so can a ONE inch moved at X pounds be accurate when the torsion bar is converted to a poundage rating like a coil spring??

Thank you again for all your responses!
No, a torsion bar is basically a progressive rate spring that's why I am saying you'd need to find an equation for computing the 2nd, 3rd, etc ... inches of compression to determine rate (depending on how low the cars sits static). Then again, I am not sure how/where torsion bars are rated but was told it was the first inch of travel. If so, and if the effective rate of a 30 mm bar is 331#, a 662# corner weight would not measure 2" of compression but something less. Also since the t-bars don't care if they are twisted up or down, you'd want to try to get as much unsprung weight off the corner before you measured it at full droop. In the end, this is going to only give you a ballpark, there are alot of variables and I am not sure how much the metals themselves will change a torsion bar function but if you *could* figure out a ballpark figure, I assume there are a finite number of t-bars out there so you *should* be able to guestimate what you have on the car. In the end, its what? 30 minutes of your day - finding the function however is the important part. This is still just a SWAG though.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Torsion bars are linear rate. If a 100lb weight on the end of an arm moves the bar 1 degree, a 200lb weight will move it 2 degrees, etc.

Quick Reply: Method to tell torsion bar dia. while still in car