Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sigh...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you don't need the car for daily transportation (hence no hurry to get it done right away), let me add my vote for doing the rod bearings.

Worst case scenario if you do them, is that you get it all apart and they end up being not too bad, but yet you now have peace of mind and a much better understanding of the inner workings of your fine automobile.

Best case scenario is that you tear it all apart and find that they are a total mess and not far away from wreaking havoc, thus making you feel like you just hit the lottery by having the forethought to go by the old addage "better to be safe than sorry".

Also, I'll echo some other posters opinions about doing a compression check to prove or disprove that the head gasket is OK.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tifosiman
Also, I'll echo some other posters opinions about doing a compression check to prove or disprove that the head gasket is OK.
I would do this before tearing into the oil cooler. No sense in doing the messy oil cooler job if you don't need to.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:17 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what my oil looked like. It was headgasket and oil cooler seals.
FWIW: Once I discovered the oil, I drained it, replaced with fresh and drove to the mechanic. He replaced HG and Oil Cooler seals. No rod bearing work. That was a touch over 6 years ago. No problems (knck wood).
Old 01-07-2004, 10:24 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Hey,

I'm not for sure, but I'm going to try to move to LA about the end of April/beginning of May. I've not done the job before on the car, but I'd be glad to lend a hand if I'm there. I'm getting plenty of other experience right now with my car, including rebuilding the turbo coolant pump and in another couple of months I am going to be doing all of the belts, water pump, thermostat, and front engine seals (including the one behind the distributor which is leaking). I've done some other engine type work before as well on Mustangs, but not ever really put much of it back together (I was there when we tore it down, but was working during the reassembly).

Keep me in mind....I'll be happy to do what I can for some free eats and maybe some help in finding me a place to live when I get there if you can help out with that. Not been there before and someone who knows the area or maybe some good places to live would be a great help. I do computer graphics, video/film production, editing, etc. so LA is the place I need to be!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rod bearings shouldn't be THAT hard. I don't know much about the 951, but the 924 it involes

1. Removal of the crossmember - 30-45minutes
2. Removal of the oil pan - 30-45 minutes
3. Undoing the bearing caps and replacing the bearings - 30-45 minutes
4. Installation of new oil pan gasket and puting the pan back on - 1 hour, to allow the sealant to dry
5. Putting the crossmember on - 20 minutes

Then you take it to an alignment shop.... Is the 951 that much more different? I'd assume the crossover pipe might need to be unbolted, adding another 2 hours or so to the install. All of my estimates are fairly conservative too.

AH, you have forgotten the most crucial step (because your car does not have it). Remove crossover from turbo to header. It would be step number 1 and if you can do it in less than 2-3 hours you did VERY well. Since it is his first time I bet it would be more like the 5-6 it takes most people. I think I can remove one now in about 3 if I really push it.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Porrsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eyal: Have You checked the sparksplugs? If the headgasket is blown, then one of the sparks usually looks real bad.

Before You start flushing the engine, fix the fault. That´s my little advice.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Right click save as! Thanks for the pic. Sorry it was you that had to post it.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Thank you everyone for the advice, Adrew help would be awsome, please do, and I knew someone would save that picture, I know I'll see it come back to haunt me everyonce and a while here on rennlist. scare off the guys that are asking about buying a 944, lol!
~Eyal
Old 01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

No problem......just try to remember and we'll keep in touch as time gets closer and I get my plans sorted out. I'm hoping to get my demo tape done and out there a month or two before I have to move to start feeling out for a job. I've got a chunk of money saved up for the move and hope I can have work and a place to live ASAP so I can spend that money on better things hehehe
Old 01-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Well, You'll love it here, especially after I show you roads you only know in your dreams. Live more in the valley area, maybe woodland hills or something. Its quite nice, and amazing canyon roads are less then 10 minutes away. Oh, and In n' Out (A burger chain only on the west coast) will be worth the move alone.
I will definetly keep in touch. If you have any questions or anything about this area, just PM me.
~Eyal
Old 01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

all of a sudden I have to have a jamocha shake from Arby's...

That just plain sucks- good luck with it Eyal.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AH, you have forgotten the most crucial step (because your car does not have it). Remove crossover from turbo to header. It would be step number 1 and if you can do it in less than 2-3 hours you did VERY well. Since it is his first time I bet it would be more like the 5-6 it takes most people. I think I can remove one now in about 3 if I really push it.

Actually, I did say something about the crossover pipe, but I estimated it at 2 hours. Wow 5-6 hours? Quite a long time. Even with that, nothing that can't be done over 1 weekend.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, a good picture is worth a thousand words, and that is a good one. Any idea how many miles you could have run with that oil?

Big end bearings are like timing belts. You don't want to risk it.

Ribs might have 1,700 miles on his, but that's not a lot.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
and I knew someone would save that picture, I know I'll see it come back to haunt me everyonce and a while here on rennlist. scare off the guys that are asking about buying a 944, lol!
~Eyal
To that effect, I'm a bit disappointed that you've been "airing the dirty laundry" about early waterpumpers in the Off-Topic forum.
Seriously, good luck with a quick recovery for your beloved.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I can take it down if you'd like. I didn't look at it that way. tell me if you think I should take it down.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: sigh...