Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to put in new locks....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:26 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost to put in new locks....

Just wondering if any of you guys have ran into this. My car has always had a different key for the drivers side door. At some point I guess it broke and the current owner just got the one replaced. Now the lock core for the rear hatch flew into a million pieces. The passenger side lock has always been a little sticky. I am thinking of just getting a whole new set of locks installed. What could I expect to pay.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure- depends on several varaibles, BUT, the lock cylinders themselves are expensive enough that people just re-use the 944 ones when installing 968 handles- the lock cylinders are ~$250 each... I would assume the hatch would be just as bad if not worse... This is probably why the PO bought something different- is it a generic key or a real Porsche one? Anyway, you would probably be better off finding some used ones & taking them to a locksmith to get them all fit to your key... I want to find a 968 cab rear cargo tray to replace my rear seat with- they have little cubby holes- like glove boxes or something... I plan to have those locks re-keyed to fit my key too- some people like the idea of having two keys- one to get into the car & one to start it- that's okay I guess- you could have either work for the gas cap OR even have a seperate on for that- getting a seperate on for the hatch seems sort of silly since anyone who gets into the hatch can get into the entire car... anyway, good luck- you might even be able to find a whole set of handles w/the cylinders from a usd parts place for not much- remember to ask if the cylinders are included if you go pricing these things & look for handles- this could ALSO be a good time to just go ahead & update to 968 handles...

Good luck
Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Dsalillas
Racer

Try going to a salvage yard and picking up a set, then have keys made(if they don't already have them). I'm sure it will come out cheaper than buying new cylinders. Oops Robby already metioned this. It's too early in the morning for me to read everything.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:22 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Take the pins/gates out of the tumblers and clean them. In most cases you can use your old pins/gates in another used assembly. Or you can move the pins/gates in the replacement to match your key. Don't loose the tiny springs.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Socal is right. If you are going to replace them anyway then you can probably rekey them yourselves. Aside from the ignition switch on a Dodge van (the locksmith said one of the toughest in the business) I have never failed at rekeying them myself. It may be that when you are done yours is not the only key that will work (depends on how many gates/pins you use) but you should be able to get it to work.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Flight_951
Pro

I replaced the driver's door look on a '94 rx7 and paid $20 to a local locksmith to rekey it to fit the car. Of course I had to bring him the lock itself.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

So if I have different lock cores I can make them fit my current key? I didn't realize that. That makes it quite easy then.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

As soon as you take one apart and clean it all will become clear!

Put the key in the tumbler before you pull it out of the barrel.

Watch out for those springs!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:31 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

So how do I get the lock cores out of the drivers side door handle? I have the spare core from my old 944 for the rear hatch. I think I lucked out here.. This will be a $0 fix..
Old 01-06-2004, 01:36 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Pull the handles out of the door. Search for the a recent thread on 968 door handles. Will tell you step by step how to take them out of the door with out removing the door panels.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Schlicten
I can totally relate. The locks on my door handels are The only door I can unlock from the outside is the drivers side door. The hatch door is totally different. and the alarm system is totally different.
I talked with a lock smith this fall. He informed me that the tumblers can be repinned in the Doors, Alarm, and Hatch/trunk. Basically, VW and Porsche use the same system of tumblers. If you open up the door you will see a screw just above the lock mechanism. remove that and the handle will slide back and out. Remove the tumbler by taking out the little screw in back of tumbler. All the tumblers in the Porsche are removable. The lock smith quoted me a $20 a tumbler=$80. That is a late spring project of mine.
My door locks are ALL screwed up since I went to 968 door handles- I used the original tumblers due to cost & somehow messed them up when re-installing- they cycle kind of unny now & I can only lock the doors from my drivers side- SOMETIMES I can lockfrom the passenger side & I can usually unlock from either...

You said tumblers were $20ea for a total of $80- are you including the glove box? You COULD keep a different key for it if you wanted- could keep it hidden under the carpet somewhere where no one would look & only lock the GB when you leave the car w/the dealer or in a place where you're worrried about it a little- of course, in that case, if someone breaks into the car, they WILL get into the GB w/out trouble,.so then it would almost be better to leave that unlocked & save the cost of the GB/dash- on the other hand, IF you have a later model car w/AB, then MAYBE you could rig it so when you had hte GB locked, someone prying it open would get the AB to explode in his face...THAT would be FUNNY... I LOVE the idea of booby traps for car thieves- like one I heard awhile back- a truck owner w/a nice stereo system had his truck broken into multiple times, so, he rigged up a bunch of fish hooks behind & around his HU- the next a**hole who broke into his car shredded himself up pretty good... I know that's a tangent from hell, but, I like to mention it every now & then in hopes that someone might know an even better pay-back for break-in thieves & share it w/me....
Old 01-06-2004, 04:40 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all of the info guys. This will be easy. I will just get the lock cores from the two spare doors that I have and the rear core from my old car. I will just bring them back to Houston when I come home to visit next week and deal with an English speaking locksmith.

Now if only my windshield washer fluid would melt everything on my car would be working! Is that stuff suppose to freeze?
Old 01-06-2004, 05:26 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Actually it was easier then I thought. If you have locks that stick or aren't smooth it is very easy to dismantle and clean them. I took my broken core out of the rear hatch of my car. The I took the rear lock assembly from my old parts car. I took them both apart and just switched the tumblers. Then I took the left over tumblers from the parts car rear hatch core and took one of the cores out of a door handle that I had laying around. I mixed and matched the tumblers and now have a lock for my drivers side door that is the same as my main key. I should be a locksmith! Before I had a broken rear hatch lock, and two different keys for the doors. Now everything works and is on one key...woohooo
Old 01-06-2004, 05:39 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Michael -
When you say it was easy, was it really that easy? My passenger door lock doesn't match the rest, and since I have keyless entry it isn't a big deal. But if it is really simple to pull out the core an match up the tumblers to the drivers door, I may give it a shot. I'm just leery because unless something is REALLY broken before I start, it is broken when I finish.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

It really wasn't that hard. Easier then changing a clutch... I am not sure if you can just rearrange the tumblers within one core. I had two cores to pull tumblers from to make one...

I will have a bunch of tumblers left over if you want them. PM me so I don't forget. I could send you the leftovers so that you have more to work with.

Quick Reply: Cost to put in new locks....