Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any other cars have the exact same 5-bolt pattern as 944's? Any ideas on....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark- It might very well be that using a rear on the front in such a situation might not work even temporarily- I'm thinking the easiest way out, would be just to buy a larger spare, which I'm sure you could find cheaper in a larger junk yard from Boxster S or 993TT/996TT, GTS, etc- I had anticipated this when I was considering BR's, although I may never get around to that now as I really don't see the BR's as being a large enough performance benefit over my Turbo S brakes unless I got them for REALLY cheap & tracked the car often- I've considered this group buy, but, even $900 seems a little steep considering the benefit- might see it differently for a regular turbo or NA 944, but, then, knowing what I've been through, I'd probably just wait for another Turbo S owner to buy BR's & then try to buy HIS Turbo S brakes....
Old 01-05-2004, 07:25 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmm...

One thing that no one seemed to have mentioned regarding the original question which was "do other cars have the same pattern."

Porsche wheels are hub-centric. Most cars are lug-centric. Even if the hole pattern matched, the center hole might not.

Personally, I would want to keep the hub-centric design for every day use. Spare use would not worry me so much.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm specifcally asking for trying to find a spare from another car, possibly- not to use it everyday or anything.... Do you know of any others? Also, I didn't know there were that many that aren't hub centric- all VW's are hub centric aren't they? good point, but again, I am really just trying to find an ultra lightweight spare- I usually drive w/out my spare at all- large can of Fix-a-flat instead, which really isn't nearly as safe- I would like to find something that would be at LEAST 10lbs lighter than the regular spare, if possible, w/out spending a fortune.....

As for how big a deal the extra weight really is, EVERYTHING is a tradeoff- if reducing weight from the car were at a rate of $5/pound, I'd be burning $5 bills like crazy, but, at $100/pound, I think I'd keep the extra pounds & deal w/it....

Quick Reply: Do any other cars have the exact same 5-bolt pattern as 944's? Any ideas on....