Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexan/plexiglass belt covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:55 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexan/plexiglass belt covers?

Has anybody ever done this before? I dont think it would be too hard and it would allow us to keep an eye on the belts at all times while still keeping them protected from the elements.

If it hasn't been done before, I'll start looking into it.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I like that idea!
Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Sure would cut short all the posts about I can't start my car; I think it's the (fill in the blank with every thing but getting them to look at the timing belt).
Old 01-04-2004, 03:04 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds really interesting, maybe I should try to make one.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:42 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I've even seen a few people run without covers completely - probably not a good idea in your part of the country, but I'm considering it on mine. For a viewing window, even if you just drilled a hole in the cover and siliconed a little clear piece of plastic in, that'd be enough.

Sam
Old 01-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

They would get dirty in a short amount of time, not to mention probably yellow w/heat. Ofcourse all of that not withstanding the fact that it'd be pretty expensive to make in the first place. Also if you have a non factory intake (you have a MAF right?), it takes less than 3 minutes to check the belt by removing one of the covers.
Ahmet
Old 01-04-2004, 12:05 PM
glen2002
Racer

Adrial,
I saw this on a Nissan GTR and it looked good, but had only been put there the day before. Don't know how they hold up.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:17 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Ahmet,

There's really not too much dirt in that area, the heat is a good point but I guess I'll try it and see what happens.

They definetely wont be expensive to make...I have an idea that will allow me to do it cheaply...
Old 01-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Every time I've pulled my covers off they have a build up of fine powder from the belts. Yes they're on correctly! But it seems like they'll be hard to see in once there are some miles with them. Then you might have to take them off and clean them anyways!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They have a clear ABS now that should take the heat and is resistant to the oils that can be found in that area. The only problem might be forming them. Injection molding the covers is out of the question due to tooling cost. The parts would be outrageous in price if that were done.
vacuum forming seems like the way to go with this. Patterns could be made easily enough and its something that could be done at home in the garage.
Ok, now who is going to tackle this one because I want a set also. If whoever does it need help with sourcing materials or building forms just let me know. Plastics is what I do.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

OK here's my idea...

For the face plate, just get a big piece and cut it out with a router or dremel or something of that nature. Maybe that new dremel that they advertise on TV to cut through anything?

Then for the horizontal part that goes inward to the block, use very thin stuff that you can bend easily to the shape...use a few layers of it if additional strength is needed. Throw some sealant on both sides to get it to seal. Then for the screws, glue standoffs (the length of the horizontal part) to the thin stuff...and presto...clear belt covers.

Travis, where would I go about getting the clear ABS you were talking about?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Hmmm... I like the idea of vacuum-formed covers. Can't quite picture the flat piece with bender-board sides...but maybe. How about just cutting some viewing windows on the cover with plexigass inserts?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just leave them off. Plenty of people run without them, myself included (if I ever finish). It allows quick checking and to my knowledge this has never caused a failure of any sort.

Good idea though.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adrial, Email me (travis@rennbay.com) tomorrow and I will send you a link to a good supplier for plastics in sheeting.
I do think that vacuum forming would be the way to go with this. Forms could be made off of the origonal pieces. You make your forms out of body putty and drill a bunch of little holes through it to the surface. On the back side you hook all those holes into a tubing system and then hook that to a nice size shop vac. The plastic lays over the form, you hang some high power heat lamps over the piece, let it warm for a while then turn on the vac. Woooop.. it sucks right down, you turn off the heat lamps and let it cool under vacuum. You then cut out the excess and drill the holes for your mounting screws.
Sounds complicated but I have seen it done just like that before. I would jump in and give it a shot but I have enough projects to take up my free time for the next year.

I wouldn't mind giving someone a hand with it. I know a lot compared to most but just a little when put up agenst the people who vacuum form for a living.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:33 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I would definately be interested if this were possible. I always worry about my belts.

Quick Reply: Lexan/plexiglass belt covers?