Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these tires shot or this is normal after an hour of sport driving on concrete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are these tires shot or this is normal after an hour of sport driving on concrete?

I noticed these even cracks on both front tires, they're even and only on the outside of the tire. I thought it's just old tire but now not so sure. Tires have DOT5213 (produced on December 2013), they're Pilot Sports 3 I have them since summer 2014. I was told that this is how tires look after driving at a limit on a track day and if they're not chipping it's fine. Can someone who has trackday expierience say if this is wrong. I was driving on and over the limit on few occasions.

Last edited by Duke48; 05-05-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:24 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

No a trackday person but the scrub line goes to the arrow on the sidewall when the pressure is correct. You should add a psi or two for your cars weight, alignment and tire width.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:54 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It's always hard to tell from a pic, but they look ok to me. I have a similar pattern on mine from track driving, and it's still there now even though I haven't been to the track in a couple of years. That part of the tire just doesn't get used much normally. Here's a pic of the edge of one of my front tires now:

Bear in mind this is after a fair bit of driving since the last track event so it doesn't look as bad as yours.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

Quite seriously, most track rats don't consider their tires to be unusable until the cord is showing. Yours look very similar to some of mine as I recall. And as someone else noted, under hard cornering, you are "rolling over" on a part of the tire that generally doesn't get any use. I have marked tires with white shoe polish to use as a guide to see where the polish is worn off to, as he said, check tire pressures, camber, etc.I think you are fine. And it is good that you are looking at these kind of things. Also keep an eye on your front brake pads until you get a feel as to how fast they wear.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Per vers
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A bit more negative camper vil help on the problem. maybe -1/2* more.

Regards Per
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM
jkotek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those pilot sports are anything like the motorcycle tire the outside rubber is softer and gets scrubbed when you drive/ride hard, tires are fine
Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

@ 39 psi the scrub line splits the half moons. The car does 0.9G.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Quite seriously, most track rats don't consider their tires to be unusable until the cord is showing. Yours look very similar to some of mine as I recall. And as someone else noted, under hard cornering, you are "rolling over" on a part of the tire that generally doesn't get any use. I have marked tires with white shoe polish to use as a guide to see where the polish is worn off to, as he said, check tire pressures, camber, etc.I think you are fine. And it is good that you are looking at these kind of things. Also keep an eye on your front brake pads until you get a feel as to how fast they wear.
I guess "most" would be the qualifier.

The drop off after 8-10 heat cycles puts you at a disadvantage when running at the front when actually racing.

We toss tires and move to stickers even when the circumferential grooves are still intact.

If you don't, and the competition does, you are - 1.0/sec just on tire.

T
Old 05-07-2018, 06:18 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely normal. I've autocrossed several times on my Pilot Sport AS/3s and have the same sort of wear yours do and they work just fine. I actually had a high spot from actually melting the rubber on the tread block the front left tire that I had to wear off. As others have said, increase the pressure. Start with the factory recommended pressures and work from there if you need to.

On a side note: Tires do age. Make sure you're replacing them every 5 years. Previous owner of my car had 8 year old Dunlops on when I bought it and it was worse than driving on ice. Those should be on their way out.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Duke48
Instructor

These Pilot Sport 3 are 4.5 years old, first 2 years they've spent in the garage doing just 1200miles, then added 10000 more miles on them, there is more than plenty of thread left. Should I replace them?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
No a trackday person but the scrub line goes to the arrow on the sidewall when the pressure is correct. You should add a psi or two for your cars weight, alignment and tire width.
You do realize those "arrows" are to direct you to where the wear bars are, right?????
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Completely normal. I've autocrossed several times on my Pilot Sport AS/3s and have the same sort of wear yours do and they work just fine. I actually had a high spot from actually melting the rubber on the tread block the front left tire that I had to wear off. As others have said, increase the pressure. Start with the factory recommended pressures and work from there if you need to.

On a side note: Tires do age. Make sure you're replacing them every 5 years. Previous owner of my car had 8 year old Dunlops on when I bought it and it was worse than driving on ice. Those should be on their way out.
What is it in the picture that has people recommending he increase pressure, is it how far over the shoulder the roll its showing? Purely curious here as I have not tracked before but may in the future.

When you say factory recommended I take it that is a reference to vehicle mfg, the info on the label in the door frame? It sounds like typically for tracking people usually increase pressure to counter sidewall roll?

I had a vehicle that I used to like to pushing corners with and recall factory recommended was not "comfortable" from a driver's perspective when pushing hard, it literally felt like the tire was about to roll off the wheel. You could really feel the sidewall rolling during spirited driving in extended sweepers and if you went past roll point it really started to push as well. I ended up running around 4-5psi over mfg recommended to counter that issue and it made for a much more predictable experience without the anxiety of rolling the tire.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Duke48
Instructor

I decided to replace them: Should I go with 205/55/16 Pilot 4 94Y XL, NOT the Pilot 4S(n/a in this size) or Potenza S02 N3 91W ?

Last edited by Duke48; 06-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Always worth checking the date stamp on tires, even "brand new" tires. It's the last 4 digits of the tire serial number on the sidewall -- first two digits are the week of the year made, and the last two are the year, so 2217 means they were made in the 22nd week of 2017. I once had a PPI done on a car and the tech said the tires were 12 years old, which seemed impossible because the car was only about 8 years old at the time. That's when I realized you really need to check the production date even on "new" tires. If they've been sitting on the shelf for years, don't buy them! There's no universal expiration date for tires, but somewhere between 6 and 10 years, most tend to agree the rubber is too old even if you have plenty of tread. Kind of like timing belts.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

Looks like normal "scrubbing" of the tire shoulder, produced when a street tire rolls under during hard cornering.

And yes, plenty of tread left, but that can backfire for competitive driving. Tall tread both increases squirm (and precision response) and high temperatures, leading to tread separation.

Quick Reply: Are these tires shot or this is normal after an hour of sport driving on concrete?