Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch...my little tip of the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch...my little tip of the day

As I work my way through the '83 RoW 944 restoration, I am working on electrical issues behind the dash performed by the SPO. The radio relay seemed to always be on, which should only be on when the key is in the ignition. Since I had the gauges all out and wheel off etc. I decided to pull the ignition switch and see if it was shorted as with it disconnected, the relay would shut off. Once I got it out and figured out which wires and spades were for the key inserted switch, I realized there was nothing wrong with the switch, it worked as intended, little plunger in the end when pressed, made contact and closed the switch between terminal 30 and terminal Su. I then looked at the lock cylinder and it seemed fine but when I inserted the switch back into the cylinder housing the key insert switch closed, with no key in the ignition. I realized that the (aftermarket probably) switch was not quite the proper length, so I fabbed a couple of little washers to put under switch housing retention screw, reassembled it and now it works perfect. I remember seeing several comments on the web about a similar issue while I was searching for how to remove the switch so it must be a reasonably common problem.

Just thought I would share for any others in a similar situation.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch...my little tip of the day