Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 coolant pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018 | 08:23 PM
XgN
7th Gear

Default 924 coolant pressure

Hello,

I'd like to ask what's the normal coolant pressure after driving (engine hot)? Should the hoses be hard enought? Can't find any solution, my engine gets really hot and when idling the fan always comes to cool it down a little. The problem is that after driving some coolant hoses are very stiff. Tried bleeding many times, hot coolant shots from bleeding vent a lot to outside then oprned... Really gazes... There was a problem in the summer that head gasket had broken along with dome hoses, so now they are changed, HG sprayed with copper spray and tight properly. System cleaned. I don't see no oil in coolant or coolant in oil no more. Water pump seems working properly too. Expand tank cap doesn't help, there is no relieve from it. Shots a tower from it when opened too... Don't know why though.
All ideas appreciated!
Old 04-23-2018 | 11:15 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

Is there actually an overheating issue? How hot is it?
Cooling system should pressurize to the relief of the radiator cap. Working from memory, that should be 14.7 PSI (1 bar)?
The cooling fans should cycle on and off when idling on a warm day, and don't be surprised when hot coolant sprays out of the cap (or bleed nipple) when opened at operating temp/pressure.
If it is running too hot, there could be several different reasons...
Old 04-24-2018 | 03:37 AM
XgN
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Is there actually an overheating issue? How hot is it?
Cooling system should pressurize to the relief of the radiator cap. Working from memory, that should be 14.7 PSI (1 bar)?
The cooling fans should cycle on and off when idling on a warm day, and don't be surprised when hot coolant sprays out of the cap (or bleed nipple) when opened at operating temp/pressure.
If it is running too hot, there could be several different reasons...
Thanks for reply.
I was scared when it reached 100°C and the coolant started to boil. Found out that the fan's ground was broken. Fixed it and now temperature stays at 80°C when driving and as soon as car stops and idles (e.g., at traffic light), temperature starts rapidly rising above 89°C and then drops back (I think the fan comes in). Don't know if these temperature swings are normal. As I mentioned, checked the water pump - seems working properly. New HG (stock coolant holes, didn't drill additional as someone had done on the HG before new), system flushed with coolant flusher and petrol (cleaned oil as old HG was broken). By the way, on my cap there is a number 1 5, I guess it is 1.5bar? Never saw it working either.. Even when old HG was blown and broke two coolant hoses there wae no relief from the cap. Now the main hose from radiator (under engine) and smaller one above are quite hard after driving. I'm afraid of another blown hose... Even with a new HG, as I'm planning several trips.
Old 04-24-2018 | 01:18 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

!.5 bar sounds plausible. If you're concerned that it doesn't vent, it can be tested with a pressure tester, or just replace it...
The coolant shouldn't boil at 100c if it has a good ratio of coolant/water... 50/50 is typical, and that should resist boiling well beyond 100.
When the system is pressurized, it'll further resist boiling, but it might start as soon as you loosen the cap.
As long as the cooling fans cycle on and off, your temperature swing seems totally normal.

Quick Reply: 924 coolant pressure