Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of electrical dash area questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018 | 05:39 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Default Couple of electrical dash area questions

1. I decided to get all my dash lights working and after removing the gauge cluster, discovered a cluster F of crap back there, lot's of bubba type wiring and stuff. I have cleaned it pretty much all up, and removed the superfluous wires, but there is one factory looking wire group of 3 wires, brown, black/yel and gray/blu, blk/yel has a plastic spade female on it. Brown confirmed is ground. Any ideas what this is for? I studied the diagrams for a while but couldn't find what these wires connect to. The wires are currently behind the gauges, and it runs down to behind the heater controls and disappears somewhere behind the heating plenum.

2. Then there is this relay, which kind of looks factory, but probably not, was bolted right under the dash, just to the left of the center console, right beside the radio relay. Wires didn't go anywhere were just bundled up under the dash.

3. What is the normal action of the MPG gauge, ie when you turn the key on does it swing back to the left, or after the engine starts does it move any? Mine just stays to the right, the needle moves as it was swinging around when I was changing the bulbs. It was disconnected from the speedo when I took everything apart, I have since plugged it back in. Does the car need to be moving for the gauge t do anything?

Thanks all...I'm getting there.

Mystery 3 wires in a black vinyl casing

Relay that was mounted beside the radio relay

Last edited by Kilohertz; 04-22-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2018 | 08:08 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

1. The Roman numeral is the page in which the wire continues to. E.g. IV is page 4
The number is the location on the page which the wire continues to. Look at the bottom of the page and flow it up.
The letter is the matching connection.

2. That relay is not original

3. Yes, the car needs to be moving. It gets it's signal from the speedometer head and DME. It's MPH X injector pulse = MPG
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:32 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Originally Posted by marc abrams
3. Yes, the car needs to be moving. It gets it's signal from the speedometer head and DME. It's MPH X injector pulse = MPG
So it doesn't move from at all from 60 or max pinned to the right until car moves, no little bump or wiggle of needle when you start it, or turn on key? Just want to make sure before I put everything back together as if it needs repair, would like to do it while the whole dash is apart.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:34 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Originally Posted by marc abrams
1. The Roman numeral is the page in which the wire continues to. E.g. IV is page 4
The number is the location on the page which the wire continues to. Look at the bottom of the page and flow it up.
The letter is the matching connection.
Sorry, I explained it wrong, I know how the drawings work, what I meant was I couldn't find those 3 wires on the drawing, or where they are supposed to go. Possibly a "not used option" on my RoW car?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2018 | 12:00 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kilohertz
Sorry, I explained it wrong, I know how the drawings work, what I meant was I couldn't find those 3 wires on the drawing, or where they are supposed to go. Possibly a "not used option" on my RoW car?

Thanks

Grey/blue is for all the dash lights
Black/yellow is for the mpg gauge circuit. It should connect a black/yellow wire male plug somewhere else in the car.
The ground could be anything.

Originally Posted by Kilohertz
So it doesn't move from at all from 60 or max pinned to the right until car moves, no little bump or wiggle of needle when you start it, or turn on key? Just want to make sure before I put everything back together as if it needs repair, would like to do it while the whole dash is apart.

Cheers
Honesty I never really paid much attention to it. I suppose once you get all the wiring straighten out you should be ok.

Last edited by marc abrams; 04-23-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Couple of electrical dash area questions