Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter when should it be cleaned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:37 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Filter when should it be cleaned?

Just had a look at my K&N filter, but I've got no idea how dirty it can get before it should be cleaned. I am glad the PO kept the stock airbox. Those cone filters must get a lot of hot air from the engine bay. Anyway, I don't have too much faith in the K&N filter and I am considering going back to a paper filter, before I do I'll have to do a bit more research.

Oh, I finally found the source of my most annoying squeak. I thought it was behind the dash at first, but turned out it was the hydraulic line from the clutch the was in contact with the edge of the firewall. It's actually worn the pipe a bit. Too bad I didn't catch it before I had the master cylinder done, no I've got to wait til the fluid get drained next time. Of course that might happen sooner than I would like.

Cheer and a happy New Year,
Alex
Old 12-31-2003, 01:10 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Per the instructions:

"Service every 50-100,000 miles on street driven applications. Service more often in offroad or heavy dust conditions or when air filter reaches 18" of restrictions. Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually helps filter the air."

"CAUTION
Extreme fine dust - agriculture or offroad uses - will pull the oil from the element. Frequent re-oiling of the element's clean side might be required. Completely service when practicable. For extra protection use K&N sealing grease on rubber ends of the element. Service only with K&N air filter cleaner and K&N air filter oil"

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with you that the paper filter is a safer option. I use a K&N on the 83 because it is the least stressed engine of my cars. On the 951 I have the stock airbox and use dealer filters. On the S2 I have the stock filter as well.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:14 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh oh...Pandora's box has been opened again.

IMHO, it's impossible to have better flow with less dirt. so I use paper unless I'm on the track. that's me tho
Old 12-31-2003, 02:55 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only just got my car and it does have the K&N instruction sticker on the air box, but I have no idea how long it's been since the filter has been cleaned last. It looks dirty, and had it been a paper filter I would've ditched it.

I've decided to replace it with a paper filter fairly soon. There are too many variables with a K&N, so I'll stick to what I know.

Cheers,
Alex

Quick Reply: K&N Filter when should it be cleaned?