Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know of a custom taillight..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z-man
[B] Sure, the 944 taillight give the car a dated look, but the whole stinkin' car has that dated look!
Actually, here is where I'll really disagree with you. I think the 944 has a timeless shape. I always have. In fact, I like the NA lines better than the turbo lines (except the lower rear "spoiler" on the turbo looks great).

About the only two things I think look dated on the 944 (outside) is the tail lights and the separate (uncovered) bumpers). Inside, the early 944 is hopelessly dated (retro now I suppose), but the late 944 interior is dreamy IMHO. I like the late 944 interior better than most modern cars including the 996 and many other. It's functional, attractive, but not filled with doo-dads and function follows form styling.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:50 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta agree with George on this one. I think the 944 styling is timeless, and sometimes I go back and forth as to whether I think the NA looks better than the turbo (The only thing that holds me back is the exposed bumperettes). Some will undoubtedly call me crazy or stupid, but hey, to each his own.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

My complaint with the turbo is the way the nose changes slope at the bumper cover. It looks "stuck on" which is what I always thought it was (and only recently found out the turbo has different front fenders).

What Porsche should have done IMHO was to use a plastic front valance between the headlights and reshaped the fenders enough that the front bumper cover on the turbo would look more like it was all of one piece and the lines more seamless.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:22 PM
stoked944
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z-man
[B]True, no one mentioned Altezza's or Skyline lights, but geez, can't we just leave well enough alone? Sure, the 944 taillight give the car a dated look, but the whole stinkin' car has that dated look!

If you want Altezza lights, get an Altezza!

Don't get me going now: if there's one thing I hate more than Street racing, is Altezza lights!

Freakin' JDM crowd. Grrr..... (Psst: the 944's made in Germany, NOT Japan...)

Ok, I feel better now...
-Z.

Ok, you know most of us on this board can never just "leave well enough alone" thats why we mod our cars. and your right, no one did mention altezza lights so i don't think anyone wants them. but some people do want an alternative to the dated stock lights.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:05 PM
soundboy4
Racer

it was as easy as that
Old 12-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

I just brought back to life the New Tailight mod....Post, look for it...The updated version is almost done!...
Old 01-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by stoked944
Ok, you know most of us on this board can never just "leave well enough alone" thats why we mod our cars. and your right, no one did mention altezza lights so i don't think anyone wants them. but some people do want an alternative to the dated stock lights.
Ok, here's an alternative..... hehe.....

The dreaded center panel light!

Laughing at myself as I realize that my car has one of the first 'tailight mods' that were available for the 944....
-Zoltan, the pot, calling the kettle black.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, although I'm not as against ricers as most people here, i think some cars, altezzas are a nice touch. If you want to think they are rice, I don't quite understand. They are generally fairly expensive, so its not a cheap add on, and it is a way of keeping the original look of your car , but just changing a bit of appearance. i don't see how they are any worse or bettter than painting the tailights or making them white (clear).
just my .02
Old 01-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I quess I'll never understand why some people will mod their cars into something it never was in the first place. If you want a custom car, cool, but where do you draw the line? Different strokes, for different folks I suppose. I'm quite alright with it knowing that, the more of you that do this, the more "timeless" and "priceless" cars that are left stock are going to be. The market for "modded" cars like this never has,and never will hold up over time. Does this make me a "purist"?

"Uncle Ben's Rice Shack" I still can't quit chuckling over this SoCal!

Just my .02
Old 01-02-2004, 12:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I say let the guys that want to play around with their marker lights do so as long as the lights still work at the same level once they are done monkeying around (which sort of kicks out smoking the lights due to the huge filter effect). With all the parts cars sitting around and growing each day it is no problem switching back to OEM for fairly cheap.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:44 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Go with red corner lights. I think they look great.

OR!

Old 01-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Roral
Instructor

Soundboy, have you ever been asked by police to activate your reverse? I like the look of all red and i mean it's the cheaps and easiest mod you can do to the lens. Just wondering if you have even been hastled by anyone about no reverse lights. It's hard to get away with anything in my car, in my small town. As soon as they see a reason to pull me over they are on me pretty good

Has any one else done this mod and had any issues with the cops giving you trouble?

Steve
Old 01-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw a pic on here about a month ago of a black 951 with about 400 horses. But it had red corners with...believe it or not... pink reverse lights. And I dare say it was the best thing I've ever seen with the tail lights and a can of paint.

Quick Reply: Anybody know of a custom taillight..