Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt whine after epic mechanical work

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
SynchromeshWines
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt whine after epic mechanical work

So I picked up the 86 944 without a PPI (big mistake) and promptly started a clutch replacement by way of pulling the engine out the top.
replaced and serviced:
front belts pulleys tensioners seals and water pump
clutch and all clutch related parts
rear main seal
braided fuel lines
all vacuum lines
gaskets throughout
rod bearings
Lindsey ultra mounts
reference sensors and updated bracket
oil cooler seals etc

after a couple of hours of not starting I removed the shim on the rear reference sensor and regapped... promptly fired up!

I have some belt whine, I loosened the balance shaft belt and also backed off the timing belt a hair. It is present when ancillary belts are taken off. Is some whine normal for new belts? I don't have a tension tool but used the 90degree method on timing belt and somewhat looser on balance shaft. How much twist should balance shaft belt have?

I also have coolant dumping from the overflow after a quick run. I bled the the front raised to start with perhaps I just had it overfilled? If basically emptied the reservoir.

thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If the belt is whining, it is too tight. You'd be surprised at how loose they should be. Not so loose they rattle but pretty dang close to it. With that said, they do quiet down as they stretch out and are used so maybe give it a few days to get settled in first.

Quick Reply: Belt whine after epic mechanical work