Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of a spun bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018 | 04:03 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by Sky Blue Lou
Pardon my ignorance but exactly how common is the right turn - oil starvation phenomenon? Yeah Dan P I'm asking you how you know - lol. Seriously do you have to add a baffle/scraper or modified pick up tube to these cars if you intend to track them? Mine is a box stock 83.
Hi Lou, the issue is common enough that Lindsey Racing markets a kit to fix the issue.
https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/PANBAF.html

My experience is with a couple of guys who are factory techs and have a lot of experience racing 944s and 944 Ts. As in most good catastrophes, there are several factors at work to make this happen. For a stock car on stock tires with the right oil I don't believe you would have a problem. Once the lateral G's get ramped up with race tires and suspensions, then subject to a long, sweeping fast right hand turn (such as the one that starts at about 1:10 in the vid below) and with oil levels perhaps not to the top with oil perhaps not thick enough then oil starvation is known to occur in 944s. The result could be JUST a spun bearing but once it starts getting hot things let go. In my case it was #4. I'm no expert but I do have some painful experience we all can learn from. On this track the cars are subject to over 10 seconds of constant left G loading. Now that they repaved Nelsons I would imagine there is even MORE grip to be had thru this section.
Filmed from a BMW chasing me, it gets ugly at 1:35.
Old 05-01-2018 | 04:35 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Wow, you got pretty lucky on that one ,had the same thing happen at Mosport going down turn 2 ... Turbo in front of me blew and left an oil slick
which led me to spin and the genius behind me just rammed my left rear instead of taking evasive action!

Have to say it happens really fast , hard to blame anybody !
Old 05-01-2018 | 05:53 PM
Sky Blue Lou
Intermediate

Great information Dan. Sorry about your "event". Did the Bimmer lose it in your oil or take the wrong evasive action?
I will be building my car up in stages and I do believe an engine rebuild will be going along with slicks and suspension upgrades. Stage 3 maybe? Dunno but I think I'm safe for now. Now I know why it needs to be done and when to do it.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a spun bearing