Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my coolant freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Did my coolant freeze?

First, please don't flame me. I feel like a moron already. In the spirit of "good judgment," I have postponed driving my 951 as I know it needs new oil and a filter. I moved it out of the garage to do some building/painting projects, and it got quite cold during that time, definitely below freezing. I thought little of it since surely I had antifreeze in the car, right? Well the coolant reservoir was empty tonight, so I put water in it, didn't need much, and cranked her up. Everything seemed normal, then after a few minutes there was some steam coming off of what seemed like the radiator. I started to think it was just moisture that may be stuck there as it has been raining quite a bit, so after stopping to inspect and seeing no coolant anywhere, I started up again. Finally the fans cut on, no change, then while I was checking under the car, water started coming out on the passenger side near the radiator, seemingly hitting the fan and spraying a bit. Note I did not say anti freeze. I stopped the engine immediately and inspected more, but could not see an obvious leak anywhere. Everything around that area was just wet.

In an effort to find the leak, I started up again, but the leak did not return, even after the fans cycled. Like I said, I already feel like a moron. Now I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. If there was freezing, shouldn't I have seen an issue sooner? Am I suspecting correctly that the opening of the thermostat may have been the event that let water out from wherever it was? I have all intentions at this point to empty and refill with coolant, and replace my reservoir as it has a slight slight leak at the top most nipple, but I would like to diagnose or otherwise rule out problems before I do that.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

pressure test.

if the system doesn't hold pressure, it tends to nucleate boil around the exhaust seats.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just refill the system and using a pressure tester look for leaks. Sounds like all you did was damaged the radiator. If that's it, consider yourself lucky. AutohuasAZ got them pretty cheep.
Don't tell the wife. She'll call you a moron. According to the bro code we forgive you because we all been there and done it.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Those engines are pretty tough ... i had left my car on the lift in my unheated garage and being that i run water and water wetter in the
cooling system as per racing regulations , the water hoses were frozen solid and came off the lower part of the rad due to expansion , i was sure that was the
end of my engine but once everything thawed out it was all good !
See if you can borrow a STANT pressure tester, you will know right away if you have a leak somewhere .
Old 02-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Pressure test it. Many "Large chain" parts stores do tool loan programs.

Anything said on here is just a guess.

It's possible that your expansion tank leak is running down the hose and ending up over on the passenger side (but that's just a guess).
Or you froze something up and the ice expanded enough to burst something.

How good was your anti-freeze?
How old was it?
How cold did it get?
Was there any puddle under the car after it got cold and then warmed up?

You aren't a moron. You made a mistake. As Marc noted, BTDT. The adage about 'casting the first stone' comes to mind.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually the radiator is what lets go first which seems to be the case here, but like said, get a pressure tester on it and make sure. I have seen numerous 944's freeze up with only water in the system and the motor has always been fine.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Food for thought, is a cast aluminum block less crack prone than cast iron in a slight freeze up?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Ok a couple of updates. I put a pressure tester on it, and there seems to be a drip leak somewhere above the temp sensor, which is really hard to actually see. I'm hoping it's just a matter of tightening the clamp there. There was another drip near the clamp on the large house coming off the water pump. Hoping for the same.

Before I go on, the food news is that the fluid leaking out is GREEN. I already feel a lot better about this whole situation.

A side note, I pulled the temp sensor plug off, and whether it happened at that moment or before I cannot tell, but the center wire is severed and another without some insulation. The outer insulation that should cover these is pulled back. So it looks like I need a replacement plug.

Is this the sensor that runs the temp gauge on the dash, out just the fans? Would it be safe to run the engine long enough to continue checking for leaks?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Ok tightened up the nipple in the top corner of the radiator, even trimmed the hose. Raised the pressure again and fluid is dripping even more from the support under the radiator.

There's just too much in the way to see where it's seeping out. All of this said, I still expect to see some bigger leak when the engine is running and the thermostat opens.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a new radiator. When I removed the original factory installed one in my '86 I was super careful and it still failed in the same area as you describe. It became clear that it had failed between the plastic end cap and the core. Not uncommon since that side is the hot return from the head and receives the most abuse. I tried new a new gasket on the nipple and fan control switch. No difference.

Don't forget to order new top and bottom rubber mounts for the radiator.

Look on the bright side. You can clean all the gunk out of the A/C condenser and have excellent airflow.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, at least you didn't pop a freeze plug. 50/50 mix antifreeze is good down to about 25 below if IRC Are you in Canada?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pdxfj
You need a new radiator. When I removed the original factory installed one in my '86 I was super careful and it still failed in the same area as you describe. It became clear that it had failed between the plastic end cap and the core. Not uncommon since that side is the hot return from the head and receives the most abuse. I tried new a new gasket on the nipple and fan control switch. No difference.

Don't forget to order new top and bottom rubber mounts for the radiator.

Look on the bright side. You can clean all the gunk out of the A/C condenser and have excellent airflow.
It seems you hit the nail on the head. I'll be starting with a new radiator. Any thoughts on having it repaired by a radiator shop?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

IMO there are enough good used ones out there that you might as well get one, flush it, and go. There is one on Ebay for $90 shipped that even has a blue plastic factory drain plug in place.
I've just flushed out the radiator from my 92, got a good amount of stuff out of it despite it being a pretty clean system overall. I am doing the timing belt, water pump, etc. I'm liking how $2 walmart engine cleaner gets into the matrix and foams out also.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Is it normal for the thermostat to be fairly loose? Seems like it has way too much room to move around. I'm going to replace it anyway
Old 03-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Seems to be missing the shim, maybe even the o ring. I'm glad I took a look!

Last edited by Jordan Wilkinson; 03-10-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Did my coolant freeze?