Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my coolant freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

On mine there was the thermostat seal and then two shims and the snapring.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: I purchased an OEM radiator, but I have run into new potential problems. Imagine that on a 1986 sports car.

I was planning to perform an oil change in this process, my first since purchasing the car, but I started on the oil cooler hard line. It had a pretty significant kink/dent in it, and we noticed coolant in the oil, though it looked fresh, not mixed. Drained the oil pan tonight, and I got a different symptom: rancid smelling milkshake oil. It did seem to have some separation as it drained. Like half the stream was normal oil.

Here I was hopefully working to replace the internal oil cooler gaskets... except the turbo doesn't have an internal cooler. Oh buddy. Are there any similar spots internally where oil and coolant can mix? (other than the head gasket)

After reading another thread I have a new [grasping] hope. Since it sat out in the cold, maybe there was a build up of condensation in the engine? Though that wouldn't necessarily explain the green coolant in the oil coming out of that oil cooler line. In any event, I suppose the next step is to get everything back together, flush, top off fluids, and monitor. I'm also picking up that I should strain that oil and look for anything metallic.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A side note, I never found a bit of oil in the coolant.

Quick Reply: Did my coolant freeze?