Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weirdness coming from front tires when reversing in cold!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:34 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weirdness coming from front tires when reversing in cold!

So, when I reverse my car and turn, and the car is completely cold, I get this strange thing happening...it feels like one of the tires is sticking to the asphalt, then popping off the asphalt, and it jerks the steering wheel. I noticed this one or two times before a couple of years ago, but it never happened again, so I didn't worry about it...of course I didn't have the car running for over a year so I didn't notice it again until recently. The car doesn't do this when it is warmed up...only when it is cold, and it is below freezing outside. I know my alignment is completely shot (I'm getting that fixed next week) and maybe this has something to do with it. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and what a possible cause is for this? Thanks,
Old 12-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Redeye
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it happen after the car has sat a while in one spot? If so, there could be a couple of explanations. The first is because when you stoped, the tires were warmed up a bit and melted the snow/ice that they were sitting on and then when they cooled they froze to the pavement.
The second is that there was some watter on the ground where you stoped (could be from snow melting off of your tires) and then that froze sticking your tire to the ground.
I had both of these happen almost every winter when I lived in the mid-west.

Quick Reply: Weirdness coming from front tires when reversing in cold!