Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 944 Turbo Anderson MW Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:47 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 944 Turbo Anderson MW Conversion

So far so good, street driving was not an issue. I went to Willow Springs two weeks ago and was thoroughly pleased with the overall performance of the new engine. Stock brakes, suspension, and driver go figure not OK. Oil pressure wasn't what we wanted but we new the 2.7 would add to the exstenive oil heat without a cooler. Still we survived due to the low temperatures in Dec.

The Paragon oil cooler has since been added thanks to Jason and his quick re-routing of the product to Anderson's Motorworks.

The 2.7 turbo exuded a mass of HP that I was not expecting. The biggest concern was the brakes (obviously) but besides the oil temp the engine was turning and burning beyond our wildest belief.

As the run groups passed the confidence on the track built up. By Sat. night we were all feeling really good about the inevitable increase in boost for Sun.

All the cocktails aside Sat. night, John Anderson and I attempted to increase the boost based on Sat. accomplishments. Little by little we added a pound here and a pound there. By the second run group the car was so fast that I came in do a quick check of the engine's diagnostics. What would happend, but a blown water hose. That totally caught us off guard since it didn't raise the Temp beyond a tick. Thank God for the cool morning temps.

Quickly, AMW and crew replaced the burst water hose with a new new one, however, JA was still a little bit shy of turning me loose. The CO2 test came up negative when we checked the coolant water. Ok - what's that mean (even me)! Possible head gasket failure!! yikes!! Not too disappointing though since a winter storm was fast approaching.

We decided to pack it up and head home for the weekend. My eyeballs were still bug-eyed from the tremendous "Gs" from the morning run group. All the way back to San Diego I thought, "what could have gone wrong?"

Well, after getting into the shop and inspecting everything i.e.; rod bearings, crank, pistons, head, and head gasket - we didn't find anything out of the ordinary. (Swooooo)! Head gasket wasn't blown and all the other parts seemed race perfect. Attribute the water/co2 content to break-in gases in the engine.

For part 3 - new turbo brakes, exhaust system, oil cooler, suspension, and LOL.

'til then, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the update - Merry Christmas to you...
Here's to the car!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David, what kind of oil cooler did you get from Paragon?
Old 12-23-2003, 12:08 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sounds awesome, how much power are we talking?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I'd say we're running around 10 lbs of boost right now and generating 250-275hp. We're trying to schudule a dyno day, but are running into a lot of conflcits with the holidays and track time.

Matt H - it's a Mocal, $329 for the kit. Go to their tech page and check it out

"http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=53&c="

Have a Merry Christmas and a wild new year!!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install a 951 rad?

What are break-in gases?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:02 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

No - stock. Our water temp is pretty much subzero, even at racing speeds.

When you first re-build an engine there is a period of time when the various "new" metals/alloys resting side-by-side have to get to know each and learn to live with one another for a long, long time.

During this "break-in" period, the gaskets also have to start working so gases from the exhaust, intake, turbo, head, et all are prone to show up in the water. Sorta like when something breaks out here in SoCal and the sewer starts running into the ocean. Not good!

In an engine that's completely broken in you don't want any of these off-gases in the water. During break-in they may or may not show up, again depends on the mating of the gaskets, metals, and alloys.

Our test showed that there was some content of CO3 in the water - apparently just from the break-in period. Everything else is solid. So we changed the oil and the water.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:06 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool man! Sounds like you guys cooked-up another good one!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Sasha
Instructor

I went to AM site and they have 944 super-charger conversions. On average, how much do those run and are they CA Smog legal? If not, is there way to make those legal?

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:19 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if they are legal in CA. There was talk on another thread about, basicly it takes alot of time, trouble and cash to get a CARB # to make them CA legal. That's the most part of it, not really a matter of passing emissions tests. Atleast that's how I read it.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:27 AM
sushinav
Instructor

Sasha,
Or you could just save the hassle and buy a 951. I'm hooked and I'm waist deep in doing water pump, belts, 968 M030 sways, Konis. Where are you in the Inland Empire? I'm in Murrieta.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:13 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I haven't heard very good things about turbo charging, very noisy and unreliable. I recommend a 2.5 turbo conversion or buying a 951 (good ones aren't cheep).
Old 12-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by David Ray
I haven't heard very good things about turbo charging, very noisy and unreliable. I recommend a 2.5 turbo conversion or buying a 951 (good ones aren't cheep).
I am guessing that what David meant to say is "Super charging" just a guess... And to go along with that, neither have I... A 951 motor is the way to go... Super chargers have trouble with loping at idle and even finding idle, from what i hear...

Jonas
Old 12-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CO3? Wuzzat? I've heard of carbon monoxide (CO) and dioxide (CO2), but trioxide? You got me there.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:33 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Ok, it t'was the Christmas cheer - how 'bout CO???

Quick Reply: The 944 Turbo Anderson MW Conversion