Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Pricing on OEM Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
It was easy to tell on my car as the coolant hose coming off the waterpump was resting on the passenger frame rail. Replaced the motor mounts and the coolant hose is a good inch away from the rail now.

But they only lasted 2 years with the power steering leaking fluid onto them (the passenger one anyway). If I were smart I would've converted to manual steering the first time around as it was cheaper to convert to manual than buying another set of mounts
The money for the second set of mounts will pretty much get you the complete set of power steering hoses, once you replace them you are set for a good 10 years.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Not a lot less time but a lot more pleasant working conditions, not jacknifing under the car like a gulf shrimp and back out when you need another tool (or beverage).
If you have a tall screw adjustable jackstand it'd be easy to use to support the motor and adjust it's height from below.
https://www.northerntool.com/images/..._2_400x400.jpg

IMO the HF engine support bar is overkill for the home-gamer, some wood and ratchet straps do the job just fine. If however someone has the bar to loan that'd come in handy (anyone? CO Denver/Boulder/FtC?)
I probably should buy one 'cause I need to do some 928 mounts as well.

-Joel.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:26 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I was hoping for experience with Meyle mounts (specifically) in the last 3-4 years. I know they had a bad rep for Audi suspension parts from before then and a good rep in the more recent years. There are tons of pretty questionable brands out there, DP, Uro, etc. Meyle from what I see has a decent reputation these days.
I tried Meyle a couple of years ago. They are solid (rubber) mounts like all the aftermarket and compared side by side with Porsche semi-solid mounts the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The rubber feels different and I can only assume that Porsche mounts use a higher quality rubber to contain the fluid inside whereas the Meyle solid rubber mounts don’t have to deal with that. In operation the Meyles produced a mild but annoying vibration or “buzzing” at idle which the Porsche mounts totally eliminated (I presume due to the fluid inside them), otherwise both mounts operated similarly at anything above idle. It’s easy to determine when the Porsche mounts have failed as the fluid escapes and they drop. With the Meyle it’s not so obvious, mine went below spec height sometime within 6 months.

In in full disclosure I have used Mayle parts on BMW’s in the past and found them to be of good quality. I think none of the aftermarket wants to produce a quality semi-solid, (ie: liquid-filled) mount due to costs, so instead gave use a solid rubber mount that is simply far inferior.

Btw, factory mounts come with a two year Porsche warranty that you will never need to claim, they last a long time.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terminolgy is off. The Porsche MM's are hydraulic (liquid filled). Semi-solid are metal and rubber.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Not a lot less time but a lot more pleasant working conditions, not jacknifing under the car like a gulf shrimp and back out when you need another tool (or beverage).
If you have a tall screw adjustable jackstand it'd be easy to use to support the motor and adjust it's height from below.
https://www.northerntool.com/images/..._2_400x400.jpg

IMO the HF engine support bar is overkill for the home-gamer, some wood and ratchet straps do the job just fine. If however someone has the bar to loan that'd come in handy (anyone? CO Denver/Boulder/FtC?)
I probably should buy one 'cause I need to do some 928 mounts as well.

-Joel.
It is overkill for mounts, but its magic for doing the rod bearings which is why i bought it. Its handy at times to have on hand after that.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by snb13
Terminolgy is off. The Porsche MM's are hydraulic (liquid filled). Semi-solid are metal and rubber.
Metal and rubber were both solids when I was at school, liquid-filled rubber and metal equates to semi-solid in my world. I guess I’m not in the loop these days, I still call rims “wheels”
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rims are part of the wheel. 😜
Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
Who makes semi-solid MM's? How do they compare with the the factory stretch-armstrong version?
By "semi-solid" I assume metal and rubber rather than solid rubber or liquid filled rubber.

After reading through all the reviews on RL before deciding which parts to use on my '89 S2, I ended up buying the semi-solid mounts Pelican was selling at the time. They were branded "SuperMounts" and the manufacturer also offered a transmission mount with the same kind of construction; billet aluminum and hard rubber. The SuperMounts aren't height adjustable but since I wasn't doing any exotic suspension work that didn't matter to me. I'm not sure Pelican still carries them but they're blue.

Lindsey Racing were offering a different product, similar construction, but also included shims for custom height adjustment at a slightly higher price. They're gold. I think Lindsey also call them "SuperMounts" but I'm not sure. They don't look the same as the ones I got from Pelican.

I'm building a track car so I wasn't too concerned with increased vibration at idle and, to be honest, the only prior experience I had with the car before replacing them was with what I think were probably the original mounts that were almost 30 years old and completely shot. The new mounts are better than they were. I wanted to stiffen the drive line because I was putting in a racing clutch and because the S2 puts out a fair amount of torque; twisting the drive line messes with shift precision. I'd also read a few accounts of the OEM mounts not lasting as long as some people have experienced and I figured the semi-solid mounts would probably be good for the life of the car so they were worth an extra 25% over the cost of the OEM mounts.

EDIT: I checked and Pelican doesn't sell the SuperMounts anymore, looks like maybe no one does. Lindsey's equivalent part is called an "Ultra Mount". Looks like the prices have come down a bit? Almost the same product I think.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 02-11-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I tried Meyle a couple of years ago. They are solid (rubber) mounts like all the aftermarket and compared side by side with Porsche semi-solid mounts the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The rubber feels different and I can only assume that Porsche mounts use a higher quality rubber to contain the fluid inside whereas the Meyle solid rubber mounts don’t have to deal with that. In operation the Meyles produced a mild but annoying vibration or “buzzing” at idle which the Porsche mounts totally eliminated (I presume due to the fluid inside them), otherwise both mounts operated similarly at anything above idle. It’s easy to determine when the Porsche mounts have failed as the fluid escapes and they drop. With the Meyle it’s not so obvious, mine went below spec height sometime within 6 months.

In in full disclosure I have used Mayle parts on BMW’s in the past and found them to be of good quality. I think none of the aftermarket wants to produce a quality semi-solid, (ie: liquid-filled) mount due to costs, so instead gave use a solid rubber mount that is simply far inferior.

Btw, factory mounts come with a two year Porsche warranty that you will never need to claim, they last a long time.

Hi everyone, just a quick FYI. URO mount 951 375 042 04 is indeed liquid-filled, which you can verify by viewing the check-valve ball located in the center of the mount opposite the stud. It looks like the end of a grease zirk, and the vibration-damping liquid is injected through this port during the manufacturing process. Hydraulic mounts are definitely more costly and difficult to manufacture, which is why many aftermarket mounts are solid. Our mount is covered by a two-year warranty, please feel free to contact "sales @ uro parts . com" (remove spaces) if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Last edited by URO Support; 02-14-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URO Support
Hi everyone, just a quick FYI. URO mount 951 375 042 04 is indeed liquid-filled, which you can verify by viewing the check-valve ball located in the center of the mount opposite the stud. It looks like the end of a grease zirk
Does this mean it's re-fillable? Any idea what the fitting specs are? What sort of fluid is it filled with?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:05 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Good question! Unfortunately, hydromounts not refillable. They're typically filled with some variation of propylene glycol thanks to the material's viscosity and compatibility with rubber. Failure of hydromounts is usually due to the eventual cracking of the rubber due to flex cycles, heat, age, and exposure to ozone. Once a crack breaches the inner wall of the mount, the damping fluid quickly leaks out and the mount must be replaced. Hydromounts have a shorter lifespan than solid mounts, but the reduction in vibration and harshness is worth the additional maintenance for passenger vehicles where comfort is a high priority.

Underhood Service magazine has a good article on the subject:
http://www.underhoodservice.com/motor-mount-logic/

Last edited by URO Support; 02-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification, it's about what I would have expected; once the seal fails the mount needs replacement. I asked because there have been some people who've used a liquid polyurethane that sets up as a solid in 24 hours to "re-condition" the hydromounts used on the transmission and possibly the motor mounts themselves, I'd have to look it up again. That sort of repair wouldn't require integrity of the container, folks have patched cracks with duct tape while they wait for the compound to set.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:31 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Thanks for the clarification, it's about what I would have expected; once the seal fails the mount needs replacement. I asked because there have been some people who've used a liquid polyurethane that sets up as a solid in 24 hours to "re-condition" the hydromounts used on the transmission and possibly the motor mounts themselves, I'd have to look it up again. That sort of repair wouldn't require integrity of the container, folks have patched cracks with duct tape while they wait for the compound to set.
Ah, wasn't familiar with that DIY fix. Naturally we can't officially recommend or approve of it, but suppose it would work as long as you're able to inject the right amount of liquid polyurethane to restore the proper loaded height, which would be tricky to gauge after the mount rests deflated and compressed for awhile. How well does a "repaired" hybrid PU / rubber mount work compared to a new solid rubber one? The puck of new polyurethane would fill the cavity but probably wouldn't bond to the interior walls due to the residual glycol, so it could float in there a bit. Which might be fine, but remember that cracking rubber created the glycol leak in the first place, and the mount is probably on its last legs at that point. Has anyone using this mod ever had the container fail?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Filling the transmount is good, as its not a liquid mount to start with, filling it with 60A gives you a "sport" style mount that deflects less and that won't tear under load. IMO this is absolutely required on every 944 with the late style mount, as its less able to control the movement of the transaxle vs the early style mounts.

Polyfilling the motor mounts just nets you the equivalent of one of the solid rubber mounts, only stiffer. It is also significanly harder to fill than the trans mount.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by URO Support
Hi everyone, just a quick FYI. URO mount 951 375 042 04 is indeed liquid-filled, which you can verify by viewing the check-valve ball located in the center of the mount opposite the stud. It looks like the end of a grease zirk, and the vibration-damping liquid is injected through this port during the manufacturing process. Hydraulic mounts are definitely more costly and difficult to manufacture, which is why many aftermarket mounts are solid. Our mount is covered by a two-year warranty, please feel free to contact "sales @ uro parts . com" (remove spaces) if you have any questions or need any assistance.
Thank you for taking the time to post here and clarifying the situation. The thing is URO motor mounts for the 944 have the worst reputation amongst all the aftermarket for failing quickly. The 2 year warranty is useless if they fail every six months and you have to do the job again and again. I’m sure we’d all like a good quality and cheaper aftermarket version as long as it lasts at least 5 years.

Do you have any plans to redesign the mounts you currently offer to make them more reliable?

Quick Reply: Best Pricing on OEM Motor Mounts?