Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet questions - snowmachining and AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet questions - snowmachining and AutoX?

Alrighty, I'm looking for a helmet for autocross,
now, i did search a bit, I've read before about such, and i know I'll need Snell 2000 SA for SCCA autocross, right?
now, how does this compare with DOT rating?

and also, would a snell rated helmet be suitable to snowmachine in?

I would be nice to get an all-use helmet here
Old 12-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly enough, Snell does not have a certification for snowmobile helmets. <http://www.smf.org> (click on the Snell Standards link)

The DOT rating is virtually worthless. Unless of course you have a motorcycle you ride on the street. While helmets must have DOT certs to be legal on the street (IIRC) a Snell rated helmet should easily pass the DOT cert process w/o breaking a sweat. Also, I've never heard of anyone being cited for not wearing a DOT rated helmet on a bike. If you're asking about DOT and snowmobiles because you can ride snowmobiles in the street in Alaska, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue about the law on this.

I would think any Snell M rated helmet would be more than satisfactory on a snowmobile. Most SA rated helmets would be fine as well, but SA allows a smaller eye port (although many SA helmets have large enough eyeports that they would pass the M rating.

You probably don't need a SA helmet for autocross (check in your area however). Most organizations that conduct autocrosses have come to their senses and only require an M rating. If you think you may do any DEs in the next 5 years however, you should get the SA helmet.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:39 PM
mochman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most snow helmets have different visors and internal venting systems to prevent fogging.

Quick Reply: Helmet questions - snowmachining and AutoX?