Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter Placement

Has anybody placed the tweeters on the A-pillar.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:27 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

No. I like to keep what hearing I have left.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Roral
Instructor

I was thinking about putting the Tweeter in the pillar myself, but then after thinking about the cross over network and the effect it would have splitting the location of the midrange driver and the tweeter. It was just not worth it. unless you have a nice cross over, or good EQ to clean up the sound. You would either have the tweeter being too brilliant for the front stage or have to tone the treble down to a point where the music is really effected. Imaging was really hard for me to do in the car, so i fashoined a few panels for the door and used a lazer pointer for finding the sweet spot. (I don't have a fancy EQ, just the one in the deck)

But you've now got me thinking Boxing day could be the day for new Audio toys.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:06 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Roral, "front stage sound"??? Don't think he's playing classical music do you?

Did your laser pointer account for the contours of the cars interior?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Roral
Instructor

By front stage.. i just ment front fill.

and my deck (clarion DXZ925) has built-in DSP for Time Alignment, Seat Position, Virtual Space Enhancer. Really just a bunch of stuff i don't know how to use, but it's cool to say it has it.

And even with the pointer it really didn't do much for putting the sound back on axis or whatever. It's not like i am using transducers, or any good for now. I want to try and find some shallow speakers like Kappa Uniplates so I don't have to rebuild the whole door panel with fiber. Can you recommend any speakers? (with in reason, no focal or morel here haha i's poor)
Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Individual time delay adjustments. I like that. Most any good brand name stock size door speaker will work. You may have to separate the tweeter from the midrange to do your time delay trick.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Roral
Instructor

I've tried 4 different driver arrangments, Clarion, Sony, Nakamichi (however its spelt) and Alpine. Currently I am running the Clarions, but they need to be replaced with something new, the surround is going on one of them. A drunk buddy of mine kicked out the dust cap on the other (though did not bump the voice coil)
I picked up some decent JL's coax. off Ebay for a song, but they are too deep for the mount, they bump the window rail thing behind it (sorry i am not too technical with some of these terms)
Do you or does anyone else have the true depth for the mounts. Crutchfield's numbers don't seem to work too well for me.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:14 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I was thinking of a pair of Boston acoustics 4 inch components. RC420's from ebay. These speakers . Or maybe kenwood KFC-p403 which are these speakers. Spoke to an installer who suggested that he would put them in the pillar. AS for my Jeep Grand Cherokee the woofer is mounted in the door and the tweeter is on top of the dash. Although the woofer is not a 4" speaker. I don't know if that matters.

I think the Boston Acoustics should have a pretty good crossover. Installing an Alpine 9813 and I think this has a pretty good EQ.

What does the laser pointer do? How do you use it?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Mine are right on the door - very far forward though.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:40 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by Kurt
Mine are right on the door - very far forward though.
Any chance you have a picture. Wha kind of speakers do you have? Happy with them?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:07 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

not sure if you saw this picture last time jeepers, but here is my setup with the tweeters in my homemade kick panels on the door.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2003, 11:09 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

and another picture with the door slightly open to see how it fits around the dash when it is closed.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2003, 11:16 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Kevin,

That looks great however, I am not that handy or creative. wish I was cause i see all these great ideas and drool. Do you have a sub?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:18 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

i just ordered an infinity kappa perfect 12. i will be building a ported enclosure for the spare tire well. i will be using MDF, and fiberglass for filler and for the corners (it is a very odd shaped space, hard to build out of just wood). my plan was to keep the sub low enough in the hole so i can leave the rear deck carpet intact. when i get the sub, and build the enclosure i will take pictures.

right now i have so many projects going it is hard to keep them all straight. for instance, notice how the passenger airbag door is removed in the picture above? well i build a motorized LCD screen that fits in the airbag location, and when activated it raises out of the top of the door. pretty neat in my opinion, but it still needs some touching up before i actually install it in the car.

also jeepers, i made plaster imprints of the kick panels in case i ever wanted to make more. when i'm not dirt poor i could make a few more...
Old 12-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

You could always put them above the window switches like in the 968.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tweeter Placement