Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator hose routing on an '84 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radiator hose routing on an '84 944

I need some assistance in assuring myself that some of the radiator hoses are routed properly now that I have put the radiator back in the '84. My area of concern involves 3 hoses and the hood latch cable. They all cross over/under each other in front of the air box and near the headlight mechanism. These include the small hose from the top right side of the radiator (as you face it) , the large hose from the same side that goes to the flange on the head (pretty obvious how this is routed) , the medium sized hose that goes from the front bottom corner of the expansion chamber snaking its way through this area until it is routed across the top of the fan shroud to the other side of the radiator, and finally, the hood release cable routing as it leaves a clamp on the top of the left side longitudinal (small hose mentioned first shares this clamp). They look fine as I have installed them with plenty of clearance from the headlight mechanism and also from the alternator pulley hiding under them but I have a managed to somehow have the mechanism snag the release cable once and also nick the medium sized hose on another occaision (my karma most likely). Never got one into the alternator pulley but there is a first time for everything...8^}
Old 12-19-2003, 11:07 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like it looks like my 84!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:57 AM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim - I can shoot a pic and email it too you -
Extras care on the placement of the upper radiator hose clamp - wrong alignment and it catches on the headlight linkages . . .
Steve
Old 12-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by MY83944
Jim - I can shoot a pic and email it too you -
Extras care on the placement of the upper radiator hose clamp - wrong alignment and it catches on the headlight linkages . . .
Steve
I found this out the hardway. I had changed my upper and lower hoses as the upper sprung a leak and the lower was visably on its way out. The upper clamp by the radiator was a real pain to get off because of the angle it was at, so when i replaced it i put it into a nice upright position. On my way back to school, i turned the headlights on as i entered NYC, i knew their was a problem as i was getting no lighting at all and my headlights were not nearly as high as they used to be when they popped up. I stopped after the HollandTunnel on the Jersey side at the first gas station. It would have been a hell of an easier time adjusting that clamp if i had one of the flexible drivers with extensions...but all i had was my leatherman tool and a 30 peice tool set from AutoZone (good for those minor repairs). Basically to sum it up, it was a real pain in the *** that took way longer than it should have being i didnt have the right tools, make sure you test that your headlights work before hand.

Quick Reply: Radiator hose routing on an '84 944