Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing Nostalgic. Any other millennial's get a 944 as their first car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just turned 30 and have owned my 944 for the past 6 years. Technically it was my first "car" since I only owned 4x4s prior to buying it but I didn't buy it until I was in college. I bought it as a race car project and have kept it running and driving while I have been slowly hoarding race parts and stripping the car of anything not needed.

The thing is a blast to drive. Right now it's still on the phone dials and has some skinny old hard tires on it and the original disintegrating suspension bushings. That makes for a very sketchy ride as it skates around, barely hanging on at the slightest hard turn, lol. Driving at 10/10ths on the street at a max of 50mph is a riot. I have most of the parts to do the full race suspension/braking/wheel & tire setup but at that point it may lose some of the fun of driving it on the street because it won't be on the edge of traction at all times. Once those parts go on it's track time which I unfortunately won't have the time to do for another year or so thanks to a home restoration/addition project. That's why for now I'm just collecting parts, keeping it fun on the road (although I really should get some safer tires), and working toward the end goal of it being a dedicated track car.

My actual first car was a 1974 Ford Bronco that I sold for $5,500. They now are going for around $55k in the same condition Should have held on to that one...
Old 01-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a 944 when I was 16. It was my first car. Long story short I bought it for 3K spent an ungodly sum of money (relative to its price) fixing it and sold it at a loss. I just now got (at the age of 32) back into a 944 Turbo and I love it. Cant get enough.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It wasn't my first car, but as another elderly millenial, I'm on my second 944 and plan to keep it long-term. It's a bit funny, I never liked the 944 much as a kid; I was always more of a E30 BMW fan. But when it came time to pick up a project car, all the good E30s were already gone and 944s were a dime a dozen. I got an '84 in Garnet Red and ended up loving the chassis. When that one died in a flood, I passed over a couple of great deals on E30s to find my current 944S. I've been improving it for the last 4 years and can't see not owning a 944 now. If the worst happens and I lose my S, I'll probably look for a nice Turbo or maybe a 968 to take its place.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Why are millennials even interested in these cars? It has no blue tooths so they can't tweet on Facebook how cool they are or check how many likes they have on the video they just uploaded to YouTube. It won't stop for you when you're not paying attention and playing with your phone. Besides, what are you doing driving? I thought all of you guber around town stopping at every Starbucks for a caffeinated beverage and free WiFi to download the latest app or check your credit score. You'll never pick up girls because you won't know how to parallel park without rear-view cameras and parking assist. They'll get mad at you too when you have to tell them THEY have to lock the door. OMG, these cars r stupid!
LOL!!!

Xennial... that must be what I am. Your post above doesn't apply to me at all. I do, however, say LOL. (LOL)

Maybe the 944 (or any 80s car) is like the organic/natural/gluten-free version of cars, which is hip these days. Looking over your shoulder to back up is like yoga, and having to shift gears manually is like cooking your own meals at home.

Quick Reply: Waxing Nostalgic. Any other millennial's get a 944 as their first car?